Helpful
Replies

upgrade CUCM from 9.1 to 11.5

fly
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have CUCM and IM and presence for many years, and version is 9.1

pub and sub running on two vm, and IM running on a vm( it is a test version)

I saw we can use PCD to migrate MCS from one cluster to a new cluster running on virtual machine , Can we use PCD migrate our CUCM and IM(test version)(running on virtual server not MCS) to a new cluster (running on new virtual servers)?

I saw upgrade CUCM by using PCD is a easy job, If we upgrade by myself  we have to migrate and update by myself.

another question: if we update CUCM from 9.1 to 11.5,Do we need refresh firmware of our many IP phones? can we keep our iPhone old firmware. because we don't wanto to update firmware of ip phone.

because our IM and presence is test version software(for history reason ), we have two choice:

1 keep OLD version 9.1 IM and intergrate with version 11.5 CUCM, I don't know is there any compatible question.

2 buy update version 11.5 IM and presence, and using PCD migrate version 9.1 IM to version 11.5 IM, but our IM is a test verstion ,I  don't know is there any problem during migrate, or we can buy a total new IM and presence software.

thank you!

Tom

23 Replies 23

Hi Tom,

You can use readdress task while using PCD for changing IP addresses of all CUCM nodes in a cluster. Once old firmware is loaded in CUCM11, then, u can revert to old IP addresses.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/11_0_1/CUCM_BK_PB6D9005_00_pcd-administration-guide-110/CUCM_BK_PB6D9005_00_pcd-administration-guide-110_chapter_011.html#CUCM_TP_R94E781D_00

regds,

aman

Hi,Adam,

Thank you for your help.

another problem, If I migrate by using PCD network migrate to change pub address ,and change back to original pub address when I finished config old firmware, that's mean I will change address twice, but there is a problem , that is license.

I have to rehost license at last stop. because when I change ip address of cucm , I have to rehost license again.  so I will rehost license at last stop.

got me crazy, cutomer want to keep 9.1.1 phone firmware.

thank you

Tom

Hi Tom,

Change of IP address does not require rehost of license in ELM/PLM.

regds,

aman

Hi,Aman,

thank you!

one more question:

we want to keep old phone firmware therefore we don't need to updare phone firmware.

if I migrate pub to new version successfully , and modify device default to old firmware file, phone has move to new pub and register, phone will not update their firmware due to I modified device default.

but when I migrate sub to new version , I have a question.

when new sub is online ,this sub is using it's local database to init or wait to synchronize with new pub and then receive phone register?

because if new sub is using its local database to init and receive phone register, this local database is not modified device default, so the phone register to new sub and will update to new version firmware.

this is difficult problem when we want to keep old firmware.

thank you

Tom

Hi Tom,

You are correct.

You need to upload firmware in both servers in a cluster.

During the maintenance period, while the IP address is different than what is in production, upload old firmware in all new server in a cluster else keep only PUB in CUCM group.

change IP and then, put in production.

regds,

aman

Hi,Aman,

Thank you!

I have a problem when I discussed with customer

due to security problem, customer don't permit I connect PCD to one of their ESXi management interface, they don't provide username and password to me.

So I consider another upgrade method

I will find a new cisco test UCS m2 server, I will:

1、generate ova file from old product pub,sub ,im vm.

2、import old pub,sub ,im ova one test UCS server and modify mac address to product vm.

3. connect ucs using trunk to a layer 3 switch and simulate real product network

4.install 3 new V11.5.1 ova on test ucs .

5.install pcd on test UCS

6.move to different model of cisco phone in customer product network to my test network for test firmware purpose

7、migrate whole old pub,sub,im to new V11.5.1

8、modify device default to old V9.1.1 firmware/or just using new V11.5.1 phone firmware(because it's a test envirment, I can test it freely)

9、test phone firmware

10  re-host license

11 if it is ok, generate 3 new v11.5.1 pub,sub ,im ova file

12 import 3 new V11.5.1 pub,sub.im ova file on product network(same mac address)

13 shutdown old pub , start new pub

14 shutdown old sub,start new sub

15 shutdown old im. start new im

I found when I migrate from v8.6 to V11.0 by using PCD, the old firmware files were keeped in V11.0 CUCM.

is there any problem for my proposal?

thank you

Tom

Hi Tom,

proposal is fine but requires lot of effort.

What u mean by modify MAC address to product VM?

Rehost of License:  I understood since u are changing the hardware .

regds,

aman

I am afraid there is license connect to mac address, in some software, if you change mac address of system  and license has gone, so I modify mac address as same as product VM.

in my last proposal, I will rebuild whole customer produce environment  on the test lab as same as possible, and on this environment ,I upgrate to V11.5.1,   when I finished upgrading, I just move vm to product environment ,it is very simple.

I can test phone firmware compatible problem freely and test everything I like ,don't worry affect customer product network.

I found a UCS m2 b200 server ,1.3 t storage on customer site.  I will install 11 vm on this server and connecto a switch to simulate customer product network

11 vm:

old V9.1.1: pub ,sub,im , I will export vm from product network and import on my test lab

new V11.5.1:pub,sub.im

pcd V11.5.3

one ftp server for DRS backup

vcenter sever

thank you

tom

Deprecated Phone Models

As of Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 11.5, the following phones are no longer supported. If you use any of these phone models on an older release of Cisco Unified Communications Manager and you upgrade to Release 11.5, the phone will not work after the upgrade completes.

•     Cisco IP Phone 12 S
  •     Cisco IP Phone 12 SP
  •     Cisco IP Phone 12 SP+
  •     Cisco IP Phone 30 SP+
  •     Cisco IP Phone 30 VIP
  •     Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G
  •     Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G
  •     Cisco Unified IP Phone 7910
  •     Cisco Unified IP Phone 7910G
  •     Cisco Unified IP Phone 7910+SW
  •     Cisco Unified IP Phone 7910G+SW
  •     Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G