file for the same) --> take the DRS backup of updated VM --> recreate the
VM image on UCS as per CUCM 10.0 OVA template & restore the DRS backup on
this new image

Please correct me if I am wrong?

One more question: in case in older version I have 1 Pub and 1 Sub and 2
TFTP+MOH server and in new UCS I want to have 1 Publisher and 2 Subscribers and
2 TFTP+MOH server than I think I should add the new subscriber after the
upgrade?

Any document on this will be very helpful.

Thanks

ST

25 Replies 25

HI Daniel,

Really helpful posts you have made here for us on this PCD tool. Just one quick question, if we dont have the foundation license but would still want to use PCD for migration, can we just get the esxi to the evaluation license and once the upgrade has been completed, we switch back to the hypervisor license and then can carry on with it. I ready somewhere on the forums that this is possible and also the PCD documentation states that evaluation licenses gives PCD the full access to the vmware apis involved in the migration process..let me know asap as i have a migration planned for one of our office this monday!! Thanks!!

Vaibhav...

We wouldn't endorse or make any promises on eval-mode for production use.

I know folks do this in labs all the time (which is why we call it out in PCD Admin Guide), but for production/permanent PCD usage goes against spirit of our OEM agreement with VMware, plus more importantly exposes customers to support risks  based on undefined implications of enable/disable eval-mode for turning on the APIs that PCD needs.

As we move to ESXI 6.0 and CSR 11.5, we will be making some changes on default OEMs with newly purchased BE6000 and BE7000 appliances, but for installed base right now Foundation or higher still needed to turn on the APIs that PCD needs, with the usual TAC/BU support assurances.

Hello Daniel,

Can you grant access to me to view the video?

Thanks & regards,

HowYee

HowYee,

If you refer to the post from Lisa Marcyes (#7 on this thread), you need to be a member of the Cisco Customer Connection to access the archive and links to the replay.

You can find out more about the program and join here Customer Connection Program

I hope this helps. Thank you for participating in the Collaboration Community.

Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communities

Hey Dan, in the newest versions of this (I've just received a preloaded BE6000M, UCS C220 M4S) it came preloaded with 10.5(2) and the PCD already on there.  It has like 5 VMs preloaded on it.

I'm wanting to do my MCS 7835 I3 to BE6k migration... can I do it?  I know in your video you've referenced back then Cisco didn't support the Hypervisor that came with the BE6k.  Is that still true?  Or can I fire up the PCD and point to the old cluster and to my 2 new BE6k boxes and let it do the Migration of Pub/Sub over the two new boxes now?

I'll look elsewhere for the lic and Unity pieces that I still need to know.

Thanks,
Coop

Mark,

If the BE6K that you ordered has ESXi Foundation or better, then you use PCD to do the migration.  ESXi Hypervisor version does have have the API control that PCD needs, so you need to have the more functional Foundation ESXi to use PCD. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

George Gitonga
Level 1
Level 1

The above information is very useful. thank you.

Which Top Level SKU does one need to use to order the upgrade license?

Shobhiy@78,

If we talk about the scenario without PCD ( Prime collaboration deployment  ),   If we can use the Jump upgrade procedure to migrate to 9.1.2 ( or 10.x here ) Why do you said you have to upgrade from 7.1(3) to 7.1(5) on your MCS, before doing the Jump...

From the Jump documentation : http://www.cisco.com/web/solutions/collaboration/docs/jump_upgrade_for_413_715_to_912.pdf

it shows that the 7.1.3 is support, so you dont have to go to 7.1.5

his document provides procedures for performing a jump upgrade to Release 9.1(2)

using the following intermediate releases:

• 6.1(4)

• 6.1(5)

• 7.1(3)

• 7.1(5)

ABM Networking
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning a migration from 8.6 to 10.5 with PCD do you happen to know if ALL the BE 7000 servers require the VM licences below, or just the VM server that PCD is going to be installed on? There will be 1 publisher and 6 Subs.

Cisco UC Virtualization Foundation (appears as  "Foundation Edition" in vSphere Client) 

• VMware vSphere Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Enterprise Plus Edition 
  • Evaluation mode license

Thank you

ABM Networking,

When using PCD, all of the source and target EXSi hosts must be Foundation version or higher.  It cannot be the default Cisco UC Virtual Hypervisor version.  The hypervisor version does not have the API's enabled that PCD needs to interact with ESXi to perform the UCM install and migration.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

cnuche
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I agree with Dan, the best option here will be to export as much as you can with BAT, modify the csv as necessary and import that to the new UCS.

HTH.

Christian Nuche

Cisco TAC