cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 3.1(6) to 4.0(3)

kgroves42
Level 3
Level 3

I hope this is a Quick Question. We are going to be upgrading Exchange Server from 5.5 to 2003. We are running unity 3.1(6). We also want to change the OS from 2000 to 2003 on the Unity Box, and Unity will also be migrated to a brand new server. Reading through the documentation it seems that 3.1(6) does not support 2003 Whether it is the OS or Exchange.

So This is what I want to do but I wanted to run it by someone to see if it is feasible or if there is a better way.

1st install Unity 3.1(6) on the new server (with windows 2000 and exchange 5.5 Admin)

2nd Use Dirt and back up the existing Unity and then restore the Database on the New Server

3rd Run the Schema Upgrade for Exchange 2003 on their existing AD domain.

4th Upgrade the New Server to 4.0(3) or (4) while upgrading attach to a new Exchange 2003 server.

5th Disconnect the old Unity Server

6th Run the TSP to connect to the call manager

7th Upgrade from windows 2000 to windows 2003 on the unity server

The main question I have is it possible to have two unity systems running and attaching to the same exchange network, and is it possible for the new one after I upgrade to connect to the exchange 2003 box before they migrate their users over?

Any input would be valued.

Thanks

Ken

5 Replies 5

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Only 4.0(4) supports Windows 2003 as the OS. Also upgrading the OS it not supported. And on top of that Unity on Windows 2003 can only support Exchange 2003 as the partner server. See:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/404win03.htm

With that said we still don't recommend Windows 2003 as the OS. You would probably be surprised by the number of Windows 2003 specific defects that turned up in the development cycle for 4.0(4). While the OS is supported we strongly encourage customers to stick with Windows 2000 if high availability is required.

If you want to be on Windows 2003 then you are going to have to do the following:

Upgrade your current server to 4.0(4).

Disconnect it from Exchange 5.5.

Upgrade Exchange from 5.5 to 2003.

Reconnect Unity to Exchange 2003.

Once everything is working take a DiRT backup.

Run the Unity uninstall or shutdown the existing Unity server and never start it back up again.

Install the new Unity 4.0(4) server from scratch with Windows 2003.

Restore from the DiRT backup.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith Thanks for the Input,

But what if we don't go to OS 2003 on the Unity Box, Should I upgrade the exsisting Unity server fist while still connected to exchage 5.5, and then do a clean install on the new box, or should I put 3.1(6) on the new box then upgrade?

thanks

Ken

I am in need for the same answer. If there was a document for it would be great. Never the less I am running 3.1 6 and exchange 5.5 locally on a Unity box. I have an Exchange 2000 server up and running. What is the upgrade path to get Unity 4.0 3 onto a new box and attached to the Exchange 2000 box. I was told this path was correct. I need someone to verify this.

1. Install win2k server on new Unity box.

2. Install Unity 3.1 6 on new Unity box skipping the license section

- Configuration Setup will not run until AD Schema update is complete. Do I need to complete this before going on?

3. I was told to skip all exchange installations at this step. Do I Install Exchange administration? 5.5 or 2000? or skip the Exchange sections completely?

4. Backup existing Unity and Restore to new Unity server.

5. Upgrade tthe new Unity box to Unity 4.0 3 and point to which Exchange? The existing Unity box with Exch 5.5 on it or the new Exchange 2000?

6. I was told to point to the existing Exchange 5.5 box and verify that all is good to this point. Is that the correct step?

7. Now install exchange 2000 administration on new Unity box and point it to the Exchange 2000 server.

ditto !!

Has anyone heard anything regarding this question. This topic is like the black hole. I cannot find anything that shows the correct steps to perform this upgrade as I wrote earlier.