Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading CUCM 11.5.1 to 14.x

salvage210
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question:

We want to upgrade CUCM 11.5.1.117900-52 to CUCM 14.  Am I below the threshold where we can use Prime Collaboration Deployment?  We cannot seem to find the necessary pcd_vapp_ova download for this version.

Does this mean that we need to upgrade to CUCM 11.5.3 in order to use PCD?  What's the path to get from where we are, to v14?

Many thanks,

Rich A.

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mandatory reading regardless of what upgrade path you choose, all for target version 

A) Upgrade and migration guide
B) Release Notes 
C) Compatibility matrix (depending on product might be a standalone doc, or within any of the other docs I mention) 
D) README from ova
E) HW/ESXi compatibility 

After reading all of the above, you'll have all the information to plan the upgrade. 

PCD is not available for download (aside from patches, just like CUCM), fresh install files you get when you order CUCM 14 via MCE, it's part of the bundle.

Have you thoroughly reviewed the PCD 14 documentation in regards to versions and compatibility?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I'm not sure if this is relevant but we are a classified, isolated gov't enclave so our Call Manager has no outside connectivity.

Setting that aside for a moment-

We have successfully downloaded cucm_14.0_vmv13_v1.1.ova and PCD_UCOS_14.0.1.11900-136.sha512.iso

The PCD Admin Guide says that we need to "extract the PCD_VAPP.OVA from the pcd_vApp_UCOS_10.xxxxx.iso file"

According to the Call Manager Upgrade Guide for v14, it states that from 11.5(1) to 14.0 is a "Direct Refresh Upgrade" using PCD.

I'm just trying to get the correct version of this PCD_VAPP.ova file installed so that we can complete the installation of Prime Collaboration Deployment which in turn, will allow us to conduct the Direct Refresh Upgrade. 

I've referred to the compatibility matrix and we are compatible, including our ESXi compatibility.

The issue I'm having, is locating the proper VAPP.ova file in the software downloads. There were many updates to 11.5.1 with corresponding .ova files attached. There is NOT an .ova file associated with 11.5.1 SU7, hence my confusion.

While I was waiting for a reply to my inquiry, we think we may have found the appropriate VAPP.ova file. I'll report back once I'm sure.

For what reason would you use PCD and from what it sounds a migration task to accomplish the upgrade? There are other options in place for this that are likely easier and more straightforward. This is outlined in the documentation shared by Java.

Response Signature

Roger,

I would use PCD because it is clearly and specifically listed in the Upgrade and Migration Guide as the proper path forward for what we are trying to accomplish.

See the Cisco Upgrade and Migration Guide for CUCM 14. Look under "Upgrade Methods", "Direct Refresh Upgrade."  I am upgrading from 11.5(1) to 14. The guide says that a PCD upgrade task is the proper way to do this.

Upgrade and Migration Guide for Cisco Unified Communications Manager and the IM and Presence Service, Release 14 - Upgrade Planning [Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)] - Cisco

This would depend on how you interpret the document. There are multiple options available for the upgrade, CLI or webUI or PCD.

AC279B3E-20D7-4621-B80D-41A36998E8DB.jpeg

Furthermore for a direct refresh upgrade you’d not need most of the files that you referenced earlier. One example of this is that you’ll not use any ova as such. You’ll reference it to check any differences in VM requirements, but not used as such during the actual upgrade process.

Response Signature

Roger,

I've been looking into the method you've recommended. I see now where the guide recommends using the OS/CLI upgrade method if you only have a single, simple cluster and the versions upgrading from/to equate to the "direct refresh upgrade."

I'll make the attempt in our lab today and report back on the results.

Roger, 

Have you completed your upgrade from 11.5.1 to 14.  I am curious how long it took to upgrade the PUB and each SUB ? 

I am planning atleast 12-18 hrs? That is for PUB and 2 SUBs.

We were on 12.5 SU5 when we upgraded to 14 SU1 and later to SU2. A fair guesstimate is that it would take around 8-10 hours for a Pub and Sub pair.

Response Signature

Thanks