cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS expressway and control upgrade from 8.5.1 to 8.9.2??

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

is it possible to upgrade vmware version of VCS expressway and control  from 8.5.1 to 8.9.2 directly? i have cucm and IM&P 10.5 with jabber clients

26 Replies 26

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can upgrade directly.

Make sure to read the RN for any changes.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

thank you very much , so 8.9.2 would be compatible with my voice environment "cucm 10.5. , cuc 10.5 , IM&P 10.5" ? im afraid it would affect my jabber?

Hi

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X8-9/Mobile-Remote-Access-via-Expressway-Deployment-Guide-X8-9-1.pdf

Cisco Unified Communications Manager 10 or later

Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence Service 10 or later

Cisco Unity Connection 10 or later

So you are good, but for some new features you would need higher version of CUCM depends you need the feature or not. Example

Shared Line / Multiple Line Support for MRA Endpoints

Expressway now supports pass through of Unified CM shared line and multiple line features for endpoints that are connecting by Mobile and Remote Access.

The benefit of this feature is that remote and mobile endpoint users can use features, like barge, conference barge, hold on one device and resume on another, in the same way as they would when they are on the premises.

You need to configure multiple and shared lines for users and their MRA devices on Unified CM.

Required versions:

■ Unified CM 11.5(1)SU2 or later

■ Expressway X8.9 or later

■ Cisco IP Phone 7800 Series and Cisco IP Phone 8800 Series phones, with firmware version 11.5(1) or later

for detail reference below

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/release_note/Cisco-Expressway-Release-Note-X8-9-2.pdf

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Also make sure that when you upgrade reverse lookup entry for your Exp-E must be present on internal DNS Server, otherwise it will break your Jabber over MRA.

Regards,

Alok

how do i check that please?

Hello Alok,

I have expressway x8.5.I would like to upgrade to x8.9. I want to ask if I still need license key for this upgrade.x 8.5 is already licensesd .

I appreciate ur response

Hi Collinks,

No you don't need key for that. Any minor release upgrade doesn't require license.

But if you change the version from x7 to x8 then you need the software release key, option keys remains intact irrespective of upgrade version.

Regards,

Alok

Hello Alok,

I am experiencing  some challenges after i have upgraded from x8.5 to x8.9.2. Everything worked after the upgrade but 4 days later ,i discovered that when i logged into the jabber as an MRA user,the phone services will be disabled. I also noticed an alarm in c that says ' Ssh tunnel notification failure '.I restarted the cucm, expressway c and e and everything started working well. After one day,it started again .I restarted again  and the alarm disappeared but the phone services are still disabled.

I checked the Guide for MRA with Exp 8.9 and i found the following

' From version X8.8 onward, you must create forward and reverse DNS entries for all Expressway-E systems, so that systems making TLS connections to them can resolve their FQDNs and validate their certificates '

I enabled tcp connections in C for all the unified cm nodes.

My domain provider (bluehost) does not support reverse dns lookup (see attached )

could you assist ?

The reverse lookup requirement is between core and expressway. From core you should be able to resolve FQDN to Exp-E IP-Address and IP-address to FQDN.

I am not sure if you don't have reverse lookup working, how you are able to login via MRA, because without that login won't even work.

Can you check if the lookup's are working fine ?

Regards,

Alok

Hello Alok,

thanks for the update. The lookup's are working very well in C. The alarm is not showing but the phone services are still disabled

how else do i test if the traversal firewall is working very well. In addition, i find it difficult to login unless i reset the jabber client unlike before.

However, the chat messages are working fine

"C resolves the exp-e.fuoict.com to 10.108.13.14 and not to the public ip of E", that's correct. But if you try to lookup 10.108.13.14 from C does it resolves to exp-e.fuoict.com ?

Can you send the logs from Exp-C & E when you try to login and then i can look at it ? 

Regards,

Alok

Hello Alok,

I have resolved the issue. I checked the event log in expressway c . I saw an error pointing to the uds. Quickly i remembered that i  uploaded the jabber-config for my uri dialing.I made mistake in the uds.i edited it and re-uploaded it and everything became  normal

Hello Alok,

when i uploaded the jabber-config.xml, the phone services are disabled.My goal of modifying the jabber-config.xml is to achieve uri dialing. It worked before.If i delete it ,the phone services will be disabled for MRA users. Please take a look at the jabber-config.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config version="1.0">
 <Policies>
   <TelemetryCustomerID>fuoict.com</TelemetryCustomerID>
   <VoiceServicesDomain>cuc-pub.fuoict.com</VoiceServicesDomain>
   <EnableSIPURIDialling>true</EnableSIPURIDialling>
 </Policies>
 <Questionnaire>
   <WhichClient>Android,Windows</WhichClient>
   <WhichDeploymentModel>On-Prem</WhichDeploymentModel>
   <WhichProductMode>Full UC</WhichProductMode>
   <WhichCUCMVersion>UseServiceProfile</WhichCUCMVersion>
   <WhichCalendarIntegration>Google Calendar</WhichCalendarIntegration>
   <WhichDirectory>UDS</WhichDirectory>
 </Questionnaire>
 <Directory>
   <DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType>
   <UdsPhotoUriWithToken>http://www.photo/cucm-lab.fuoict.com/path/%%uid%%.jpg</UdsPhotoUriWithToken>
 </Directory>
 <Client>
   <spell_check_enabled>true</spell_check_enabled>
   <spell_check_language>2057</spell_check_language>
 </Client>
 <Options>
   <CalendarIntegrationType>3</CalendarIntegrationType>
   <EnableBridgeConferencing>true</EnableBridgeConferencing>
   <UserBridgeUriAdmin>%%uid%%@fuoict.com</UserBridgeUriAdmin>
 </Options>
</config>

Not sure, why i can't see any new messages you post on this thread. But i get it via email.

May i know why you have added "voice service domain" as "cuc-pub.fuoict.com" ? Its required only for service discovery. So consider following scenario,

user 1 logs in to Jabber as user1@example.local, but since "example.local" domain is not available outside then what Jabber does is it falls to the parameter for "voice service domain". And does the SRV record query for that domain. From the jabber-config.xml i am not sure if that's actually causing any issue, but my question is why is it there ?

Also follow this, logout of jabber and click "reset " exit from jabber completely even from windows task bar.

navigate to %appdata% roaming and local folder and delete the cisco folder in there. Now start jabber and try login in, When the phone services fails, navigate to help-->connection status and check phone services. 

Create a problem report from Jabber and under the zip file, you will see CSF logs. Try to see for the "'Register SIP:" under that and see if jabber is sending any messages. You can also attach that jabber PRT here and i can help you to verify that.

Regards,

Alok