cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG-router devices changing config remotely..

rikdrt1
Level 1
Level 1

i didn't realize that the MACRO command doesnt work on the VG devices/routers ... so wondering how would you go about changing the inside interface and default gateway on an existing VG remotely ?    must be another easy way to do this.    i noticed you cant just cut/paste commands since it lost connectivity before it was done.    

thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hi,

you could modify the start-up config and reboot the router.

During the reboot, it will boot with the modified start-up config.

Similar question here:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/modify-startup-config-while-using-running-config/td-p/1775914

But be aware:

If you make mistakes and you don't have physical access to the router, the router could get unreachable.

This would be how I would have done it as well. Simplest way is to save the running config to a file on the flash, download it and make the modifications as needed on a computer, upload the file back to the router flash and then copy the entire thing with copy flash:<filename> start.

As @b.winter wrote it is crucial that you check and then double check the content of the file before you reload the gateway as failure to do so could render you unable to communicate with the router.

Response Signature

When you make changes to remote devices that can cause a loss of connectivity, I prefer to do it this way. Write the config, and then schedule a reload in 10 minutes (or whatever time frame works for you). Make your changes, and then test. If it works, cancel the reload. Don't be too quick to write your new changes! Give them some time to bake.

Scott Leport
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

All good suggestions here and depending on what you want to achieve, there are a few options. If you do implement the ones suggested and if your changing the IP to a different subnet, make sure that the neighbor switchport is on the desired VLAN otherwise you won't have management access to the VG, assuming there isn't another interface you can manage it on.

Other possible suggestions:

- Establish connectivity to your VG on another IP designated to another interface (physical or loopback). That way if you change the inside interface, then it shouldn't break your current session to the VG.

- If you have one interface, configure secondary IP addressing. Again if the IP is on a different VLAN, make sure you have connectivity to the two VLANs from the VG. Test you can then manage the VG on the secondary IP. Once you've got that, you should be able to tidy up the config as desired.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: