Views
Helpful
Replies

VMO / Viewmail 5 or 7.x with Unity 5.x - IP Phone playback fails

rogierboeken
Level 1
Level 1

hi

we have a a unity v5 server and ip phone playback works great for all our win xp sp2 users with outlook 2003 sp3.

i have 2 test desktops with vista business, one with outlook 2003 and one with outlook 2007. when i try to do ip phone playback i get the dreaded error:

unknown problems are preventing the connection to the server.

i tried with both viewmail v5 and 7, same error.

i checked that Dcom is enabled on the 2 vista desktops.

i am sure it is a setting on the vista machines rather than something being wrong with the unity server although cisco support would like me to upgrade the cisco unity tsp version from 8.2 to 8.3

anyone had this problem before and managed to fix it?

cheers

2 Replies 2

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I agree it's probably something with the Vista Machines or the Vista requires more from the Unity side to function. Also make sure Vista doesn't have a Firewall in the way of the connection.

I know you checked DCOM but, from a quick glance of similar cases, I have these items.

In component services config:

right click My Computer properties > COM Security tab > Edit Limits.

In both sections: "Launch And Activation" and "Access Permissions" we added "Everyone"

with all options marked. If they want to mess with this, they can narrow it down some.

Not sure to what, but they can play with it

Second, expand DCOM Config

Right click on AvCsGateway > Properties > Security

Under both "Launch And Activation" and "Access Permissions". Customer had them set to

"Default" permissions. The user needs to be able to remotely do each. I made them

"custom" and added

"Everyone" with all the options marked , but something more narrow could be used.

Everyone was not there before.

Also, the compatability matrix mentions only Vista X86 Enterprise, Business, and Business N as being supported with Unity 5x and Outlook 2003/2007 versions. If they have any other version of Vista, that might be part of the problem too.

Tray

hi Tray

i checked all those dcom settings and they are exactly they way you describe it, with everyone added in those sections (i remember we had to do this to get win xp clients to use phone playback as previously only users with administrator rights were able to do this)

not sure what else to check, i have the firewall turned off on the vista business editions (x86) desktop.