Views
Helpful
Replies

2 E1 on 2 SRST gateways on a remote site

jeremie.boisset
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

For a remote site, my customer wants a group of 2*E1, each being connected to one ISR gateway with SRST.

In cas one WAN problem, what happens ? How should I configure SRST to be sure that all the phones will be connected ? Do I need to buy SRST licenses for all my phones on both routers ? Half on each routeur ?

What about incoming calls : how will the be routed to the phone. Example. My Phone is connected in SRST on router 1 and a call arrives on E1 of router 2 ?

Thank you for your help !

2 Replies 2

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could do this in a couple of ways. One could split the SRST load and also have dial peer commands to point to the other router so that in SRST mode if a call came down one E1, if the phone isn't locally registered, the DP would send the call to the other router. Or one could have all phones fail to one router if that router is rated for capacity. If a call came down the other E1 router, same thing, have a dial peer that sends calls to the SRST router

Srini

karmakar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For the license piece of the question, one each router you would need the SRST seat license for the maximum number of phones that might connect to it when WAN fails. To minimize the cost, like Srini said, you can split the load or have the phones fallback to one higher capacity router.

The call routing from one box to the other would be done via dial-peers (and the preference command within it). Here is a guide that might help you -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmesystm.html#wp1024559

Although the guide is CME centric, some concepts remain true for SRST. You can also use the CME-as-SRST mode.