Views
Helpful
Replies

4431 PVDM Slots

silvervoip
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I have 2x4431 ISR VGs and couple of PVDM cars available. 4431s have already PVDMs installed (1 on each VG)

I would like to see if I have extra slots to install new cards.

How can I check that? I do not have physical access to VGs as of today.

thanks.

5 Replies 5

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Motherboard has only one slot for adding PVDM. If you want to add additional PVDMs, you need to add in the T1/E1 NIM modules. You can check what are the current installed modules and slots, you can do it using the command "sh inventory" on the gateway.

For more info on the PVDMs, please check the below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-728307.html

HTH
Rajan
Please rate all useful posts by clicking the star below and mark solutions as accepted wherever applicable

Hello,

This is how it looks on existing VG;

NAME: "module 0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4431 Built-In NIM controller" PID: ISR4431/K9 , VID: , SN:

NAME: "PVDM subslot 0/4", DESCR: "PVDM4-64 Voice DSP Module" PID: PVDM4-64 , VID: V02 , SN: FOC2134678N

This is the extra I will receive soon from another VG

NAME: "subslot 0/1 db module 0", DESCR: "PVDM4-256 Voice DSP Module"
PID: PVDM4-256 , VID: V02 , SN: FOC213466LT

Can I install this extra card on NIM on existing VG so I can both of them?

If your existing VG NIM card has free slot , you can install it.

as i mentioned previously, PVDM4 installed on T1/E1 NIM can only be used for TDM voice services, and the motherboard PVDM4 can only be used for IP based voice services such as conferencing, transcoding and MTP.

Response Signature

PVDM on Cisco 4431 ISR supports the Network Interface Modules (NIMs) and Integrated Services Card (ISC slots for PVDM4s).

You can install on Mother Board and NIM cards. if you already used Mother board slot , you can use it on a NIM card.PVDM4 installed on T1/E1 NIM can only be used for TDM voice services, and the motherboard PVDM4 can only be used for IP based voice services such as conferencing, transcoding and MTP. AFAIK extra DSP resources on PVDM4 installed on T1/E1 NIM can be pooled together with motherboard PVDM4 in dspfarm for IP based voice services.

Have a look on installation guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/hardware/installation/guide4400-4300/C4400_isr/FRUs_Modules.html#48696

Response Signature

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The HW installation guides contain chassis and motherboard diagrams, as well as installation instructions for modules (PVDMs included) have you reviewed it?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate