cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

911 - ELIN/ALI Information

PNI-ITRNP
Level 1
Level 1

Previously I had a discussion here for a 911 Configuration that worked out perfectly. However, the main office, I always thought for 911 was working correctly. Now, I’m not so sure as this configuration was implemented before I came along.

Currently, we added a new site in the same county, so it hits the same PSAP for 911. But the phone number and address that 911 sees is for the main office and not this additional office.

The office has a site-to-site VPN configured to the Home Office, so in CER I have configured the IP Phone manually. When I perform a Test 911 call it goes to CER and it uses the correct ERL/Transform Pattern that has a different phone # and address associated with it.

But the 911 Operator does not see that information, the operator sees the Home Office Phone # and address.

What am I missing?

In addition, this now makes me wonder if the additional ERL’s work or if the 911 Operator sees the same phone and address no matter what ERL in CER is used.

Any thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

Thanks,

RIP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A few questions:

1. Has your carrier at the main office configured a DID on that trunk - your ELIN - with the branch office service address? If not you need to fix that, many carriers refer to this as a virtual office and only offer it over SIP.

2. When the call leaves your PSTN gateway to the provider, is the ANI still the expected ELIN? If not you need to fix whatever is overwriting the calling party information that CER is setting.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A few questions:

1. Has your carrier at the main office configured a DID on that trunk - your ELIN - with the branch office service address? If not you need to fix that, many carriers refer to this as a virtual office and only offer it over SIP.

2. When the call leaves your PSTN gateway to the provider, is the ANI still the expected ELIN? If not you need to fix whatever is overwriting the calling party information that CER is setting.

@jonathan your first bullet point is what lead me to discover the E911 configuration for the PRI Trunks!
Thank you much appreciated!

tgaur
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

you can verify through the call manager logs that we are sending the correct ELIN (calling number to your provider) without any manipulation.

also confirm with if there is any gateway in between the ccm and the provider.

if this is correct then reach out to your 911 operators to correct there database.

regards.

Adarsh_Chauhan
Level 1
Level 1

believe we can confirm this in two ways.

You may skip to point 2 to immediately check where is the problem.

1) On CER under Reports > Call History. 

This would tell you if the right ERL was hit.

if the Right ERL was hit, you should cross check its configuration.

Next you should make sure that Application User assigned on CUCM has the Standard CTI Allow Calling Number Modification.

You should also make sure that the Route pattern, Route group on CUCM does not have Use External Phone mask checked.

if this is all correct, move on to the gateway.

2) On Voice Gateway/CUBE with debugs.

You need to collect debugs and see if what you received(in terms of Caller ID) from CUCM  is correct, if yes, then what was sent to provider is correct or not.

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Please mark helpful or Correct

PNI-ITRNP
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to everyone for the information provided. I have been working with Cisco and Comcast on this. They both point at each other and we still don’t have it resolved.

Here is where I stand, I have verified that CUCM and CER are working correctly. The correct ERL is used, and I have run a debug on the VG and that also shows the correct Calling Party Number to 911.

In addition, if I call from that specific phone that we are testing with to any other location such as a cell phone or another office (Including the Comcast Business office) they all show the correct phone number.

Only when we call 911 does the operator not see the correct phone #.

This tells me that something (the PRI Provider equipment) has to be doing something to overwrite what is going to 911, or I am just crazy! 

Any additional thoughts?

OK, so after much debate between Cisco and Comcast, I was able to discover that Cisco and the work we performed with them (Verification of CUCM, CER, and the Voice Gateway) was correct and indisputable!

The Comcast tech should have known this next part, but if you have PRI Trunks there are E911 settings! I discovered this myself via a Google search and found the following: https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/voiceedge/manage-e911-settings/

In the Comcast web access accounts page for the PRI Trunks, there is an E911 section that you associate DID’s and Addresses.

All of the DID’s associated with the organization were configured for the same address, and because the DID I was using was not part of the PRI Trunk configuration the PRI was defaulting to the main E911 DID and Address. Hence, the 911 operator always saw the same DID and location.

The fix was to assign an unused DID already part of the PRI Trunk the correct address we needed. Then I updated the CER ERL to use the assigned DID.

I tested 911 and this time the 911 operator saw the correct DID and address!

Thank you to you, everyone who provided advice!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: