Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Activation code services for CUCM 11.5.(1) SU4

Hi Everyone,

I want to know if it is possible to activate the service "activation codeé on a CUCM in release 11.5.(1) SU4 in order to be able to onboard my client's video devices on the webex cloud (via the webex device connector application) while keeping the registration on the CUCM.

InkedLinkpending_LI.jpgI have already consulted the following ID bug: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvb00248/?rfs=iqvred

As well as the webex doc .

I know it would be best to upgrade to the latest 12.5 release but at the moment this is not possible.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi All,

FYI here is the Tac response... So my doubt was correct :

" We confirm that "Cisco Webex Device Connector" configure Webex Edge for Devices on the picture on devices he has listed it shows "Link Pending" is the main issue you currently have and this is due to CUCM is not sending the “activation code” by checking in our lab we were able to confirm that se service that needs to be enabled for this code to work is not available (Cisco Device Activation Service) and based on the bug there is not workaround to fix this issue: “Workaround:

NONE, this service / feature is available since CUCM 12.5(1)+”, in order to fix the issue with the activation code an upgrade to 12.5 (1) + is required

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/12_5_1SU1/systemConfig/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1251su1/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1251su1_restructured_chapter_0101110.html

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvv49888

"

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

What you are trying to do in the Device Connector is to enable on-prem devices to be cloud aware. That’s not related to the question you have about to use registration codes to register devices. Not sure what relevance  the linked to bug note has to either of these two things?

It was awhile since I last looked in a 11.5 system and I don’t have one at hand, so I can’t check. Have you enabled the use of registration codes in the device defaults page in CM? That if it’s is even available in this version.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

Thx for your quick response .

My question comes from there :

"If the device says Registration Pending, it isn't registered yet. The configuration is applied when the provisioning system pushes updated configurations to the device. The system attempts to register the device for 7 days until the activation code expires. If the device is available during that time, it gets registered" See : Webex Edge For Device in the Help Webex

it's the "Cisco Activation Service" for : See Cisco doc "Device Onboarding Via Activation Code"

In the client's CUCM (R 11.5.1 SU4) I don't find this service to activate it.

The registrations mentioned there pertains to the on-boarding for Edge for devices. That is not related to the actual device registration in neither cloud or CM (on-prem). The most common reason for this to get stuck is a few different things, I'll list the once we have seen below in no particular order.

• Provisioning mode not set to CUCM in the device configuration.
  • Device does not have reachability to internet so it can not communicate with Control Hub.
    • Quite often for larger corps this would imply setup of use of proxy services on the VC system.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

Unfortunetly it's not possible to change the provisionning mode on the device profile in the CUCM.
Or is it direclty on the Kit Room ? I have severals choice : CUCM, TMS, Expw , Webex...

So for me... The actual release of my client doesn't support this features.

Here is the prerequisites :

Software version CE9.12 or later. For customers that have already linked devices running CE9.10, Webex Edge for Devices will continue working.

• Encrypted version of CE software
  • Unified CM or Expressway registration
  • Unified CM version 11.5(1) SU3 or 12.5(1) and later. 12.0(1) is not supported.
  • For Expressway, you need HTTPS connectivity on your devices for the Device Connector tool

Guillaume

It’s directly on the room system. For this to work you need to set the settings that I listed before.

What version of CE do you have on the room kit?

Response Signature

AFAIK and can find in documentation this feature saw it’s light in 12.5. So it is not available in your version.

Response Signature

Yes for me the same

Prerequisites

"Unified CM version 11.5(1) SU3 or 12.5(1) and later. 12.0(1) is not supported."

But if it's not possible to make a patch to have this functionnality instead of doing a full upgrade to 12.5

That's a prerequisites for Edge for devices I think, not registration with Activation Code.
Snag_18bf1c1.png

Again this is two different functionalities that has no correlation.

Response Signature

Yes the prerequisites explain that the CUCM must be in 11.5.1 SU3 or 12.5(1) or later. Seems 11.5.1 SU4 doesn't support this "link" feature

webex.png

If CM 11.5.1 SU3 supports the Webex Edge for devices activation as you state it would also be applicable for SU4. If you don't get it to work I advice you to check the configuration on the endpoint so that it has the proper configuration to be provisioned by CUCM and also can communicate with Control Hub.

However I don’t think that it became available until 12.5.1.

Response Signature

Hi All,

FYI here is the Tac response... So my doubt was correct :

" We confirm that "Cisco Webex Device Connector" configure Webex Edge for Devices on the picture on devices he has listed it shows "Link Pending" is the main issue you currently have and this is due to CUCM is not sending the “activation code” by checking in our lab we were able to confirm that se service that needs to be enabled for this code to work is not available (Cisco Device Activation Service) and based on the bug there is not workaround to fix this issue: “Workaround:

NONE, this service / feature is available since CUCM 12.5(1)+”, in order to fix the issue with the activation code an upgrade to 12.5 (1) + is required

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/12_5_1SU1/systemConfig/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1251su1/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1251su1_restructured_chapter_0101110.html

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvv49888

"

Again what the bugID and referenced documentation refers to in not the same thing as you asked about in your original question. Device registration with activation code isn’t the same as linking devices with the Cisco Webex Device Connector. However possibly and also quite likely is that the latter uses functionality from the service that is used for the former. As such they are interlinked and would only be applicable from 12.5.1 and onwards.

Response Signature

Roger,

the device connector uses the « activation code » functionality .Even if the use is not the same, the service that makes the link is the same.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: