Helpful
Replies

Ad-Hoc Conference Help

chrisbuchner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am new here on the Support Forum.

I have a few small questions regarding Ad-Hoc Conferencing on a BE6000S system.

When you make a conference call and have lets say 5 people in the group and you as the initiator disconnects or ends the call. What happens to the remaining users and who handles those calls?

Why I am asking is the following when I test this on our system which I setup myself, When I leave the call from my IP Phone extension the other 2 external cell calls are still connected.

Is our system handling those calls? ie are we still paying for those calls?

If YES to the above how do I go about setting it up that the conference collapses when the initiator leaves.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The default behavior is for the ad-hoc conference to continue until two participants remain, at which point the call drops back to a direct call. That distinction is important if you want to prevent this.

There are two CUCM Service Parameters under the Cisco CallManager service:

• Drop Ad Hoc Conference: This parameter determines how an Ad Hoc conference terminates. Valid values follow:
    Never - The conference remains active a) after the conference controller hangs, and b) after all OnNet parties hang up. Be aware that choosing this option means that if OnNet parties conference in OffNet parties and then disconnect, the conference stays active between the OffNet parties, which could result in potential toll fraud.
    When Conference Controller Leaves - Terminate the conference when the conference controller hangs up or when the conference controller transfers, redirects, or parks the conference call and the retrieving party hangs up.
    When No OnNet Parties Remain in the Conference - Terminate the conference when there are no OnNet parties remaining in the conference.
    This is a required field.
    Default: Never
  • Block OffNet To OffNet Transfer: This parameter determines whether transfers between external (OffNet) parties are blocked (not allowed). Valid values specify True (block transfers between OffNet parties) or False (allow transfers between OffNet parties).
    Default: False

For your example where there are five people in an ad-hoc conference and the initiator leaves, changing Drop Ad Hoc Conference to a setting other than Never will cause the conference to end and hang up on the remaining participants. Be careful that this applies to all conferences system-wide, even simple three-way calls.

You may also need to set the Block OffNet To OffNet Transfer to True and ensure that all Gateways or Trunks that face the PSTN are classified as an OffNet destination. The may be necessary (i.e. you should test this) on a three-way call where the initiator drops. At that point the call effectively becomes a transfer and not a conference. I'm just not certain whether Drop Ad Hoc Conference would cover this scenario or not. Use caution though as this would prevent anyone from transferring a offnet call back out to the PSTN (e.g. someone calls the receptionist and she wants to transfer to an employee's cell phone).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The default behavior is for the ad-hoc conference to continue until two participants remain, at which point the call drops back to a direct call. That distinction is important if you want to prevent this.

There are two CUCM Service Parameters under the Cisco CallManager service:

• Drop Ad Hoc Conference: This parameter determines how an Ad Hoc conference terminates. Valid values follow:
    Never - The conference remains active a) after the conference controller hangs, and b) after all OnNet parties hang up. Be aware that choosing this option means that if OnNet parties conference in OffNet parties and then disconnect, the conference stays active between the OffNet parties, which could result in potential toll fraud.
    When Conference Controller Leaves - Terminate the conference when the conference controller hangs up or when the conference controller transfers, redirects, or parks the conference call and the retrieving party hangs up.
    When No OnNet Parties Remain in the Conference - Terminate the conference when there are no OnNet parties remaining in the conference.
    Default: Never
  • Block OffNet To OffNet Transfer: This parameter determines whether transfers between external (OffNet) parties are blocked (not allowed). Valid values specify True (block transfers between OffNet parties) or False (allow transfers between OffNet parties).
    Default: False

For your example where there are five people in an ad-hoc conference and the initiator leaves, changing Drop Ad Hoc Conference to a setting other than Never will cause the conference to end and hang up on the remaining participants. Be careful that this applies to all conferences system-wide, even simple three-way calls.

You may also need to set the Block OffNet To OffNet Transfer to True and ensure that all Gateways or Trunks that face the PSTN are classified as an OffNet destination. The may be necessary (i.e. you should test this) on a three-way call where the initiator drops. At that point the call effectively becomes a transfer and not a conference. I'm just not certain whether Drop Ad Hoc Conference would cover this scenario or not. Use caution though as this would prevent anyone from transferring a offnet call back out to the PSTN (e.g. someone calls the receptionist and she wants to transfer to an employee's cell phone).

Hi Johnathan,

That was a perfect explanation it helped me a lot in understanding the Incoming and Outgoing of Call traffic flow of our system.

Thank you for taking the time in answering my question!

Kind Regards,

Chris

How can I do the same with the conference now, I noticed that when the controller leave the conference the rest of the parties remains in it.

You can't, conference now is basically a front end for a meet me conference and those parameters are not applicable. 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate