Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a subscriber node to the Publisher 5.1

craigjohnneeld
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Im trying to register a subscriber to a 5.1 publisher but during the build process of the extra node I recieve a network failure notice and the subsequent install fails. Ive already confirmed that there is no network issue between the two subnets and my NTP is accesible on the publisher. My question is, does anybody know exactly what traces (if any) I can go through to confirm that the publisher is indeed being contacted by the subscriber? Given the install of the extra node fails, I see this as my only hope of finding any more information that might help.

Any comments/questions welcomed. Thanks team.

C

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The error messages are pretty non-specific when installing a sub. It might look like a network problem, but most of the time it's the cluster security password that is incorrect...

Check:

1) You have added the new server by IP or hostname to the servers page in CCMADmin (correctly)

2) You are entering the hostname of the publisher correctly (check 'show status' on the pub) and the other details are correct.

3) Check you know the correct security phrase - if you only have a pub at the moment, try changing it from the CLI - if you can't change it, you don't know it!! You can always change it back right after.

If anyone knows a better way to check the security pass is right, feel free to chime in :-)

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for this, it was the first thing I checked   This is a strange failure in that everything is configured as it should be..

Barring that then - you can SSH to the server at some point during the install, I can't quite recall when this starts working.. however when you get to the point that it fails to connect to the pub, you should try then. Try doing a :

file list install / detail date

to get the list of install related log files, then 'file view' commands to review them.

You may even be able to get an RTMT conn to the server at this point to grab logs, but I've not tried it...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The NTP is not used for Subscribers, they sync their time to the PUB.

Have you checked any DNS issues??

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hey Java,

Thanks, im aware of this. Are you aware of any of the traces that will contain a record of the subscriber interaction? DNS is configured correctly, including RDNS.

Cheers

C

Java,

The reason I mentioned the NTP issue is because we get the following error from the NTP Configuration -  As you mentioned, the extra node should look to the Publisher for time so I began to think what I thought I knew was wrong...

Screen Shot attached..

Hi Craig,

Not sure about the NTP error

I rebuilt a 5.1.3 sub a while ago and had trouble getting it to join the pub.

From: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/5_1/cmins511.html

Configure a Subsequent Node

To configure a subsequent node in the cluster, follow these steps.

Caution You must configure a subsequent node on the first node before you install it. From Cisco Unified CallManager Administration on the first node, choose System>Server. For more information, see the Cisco Unified CallManager Administration Guide.

ALSO from: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_1/ccmcfg/b02servr.html

The following guideline applies to adding a server:

Make sure that you only add each server once on the Server Configuration window. If you add a server using the host name and add the same server using the IP address, Cisco CallManager cannot accurately determine component versions for the server after a Cisco CallManager upgrade. If you have two entries in Cisco CallManager Administration for the same server, delete one of the entries before you upgrade

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope the above is helpful.

I'm sure I had to logon to the PUB CUCM Admin and under, System & Servers set the exact hostnames configured of both the Pub & Sub NOT IP addresses.

Good Luck!

Matty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: