Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Cisco Community Designated VIP Class of 2020

Views
Helpful
Replies
Community Manager

Ask Me Anything - CUCM Bulk Administration Tool: Practical Things You Can Use Every Day

This topic is a chance to clarify your questions about Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Unified CM) Bulk Administration Tool (BAT) and the best practices to solve its common issues.
This session will help CUCM administrators with using BAT to solve day-to-day administrative tasks. If you've ever thought "I wish I could…” bulk edit the description field for all of your phones; find a way to make the Home Cluster checkbox consistent in multiple clusters; migrate a single phone to a new model; modify the Voice Mail Profile field on lines in bulk; deploy Access Lists for Single Number Reach users in bulk; deploy a set of Abbreviated Dials across multiple phones, or work with CSV and TAR files for editing the database.

To participate in this event, please use the Join the Discussion : Cisco Ask the Expertbutton below to ask your questions

Ask questions from Tuesday 14th to Friday 17th of January, 2020

Featured expert
david.pngMaren Mahoney has been in the information system industry for more than 25 years with roles in employee development, technical support and helpdesk administration, network administration, management and engineering, and networking courseware development and instruction. She is a Senior Technical Instructor at Sunset Learning Institute and teaches a range of technologies but specializes in Unified Communications. Before she joined Sunset Learning Institute (SLI), Maren worked for Cisco Systems as a Network Consulting Engineer. She also worked for several Cisco Reseller Partners in engineering and technical instructor roles. Maren is an official Cisco Certified Systems Instructor (CCSI). She holds a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and Russian studies and plans one day to gain a master’s degree in Mathematics. Maren holds different certifications in Routing, Switching, and Data Center and a CCIE in Collaboration (#50569). Maren is also a US Army veteran.
Maren was recognized as a Cisco Designated VIP in 2019 for her contributions to the Cisco Community in the IP Telephony category.

Maren might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Unified Communications Infrastructure community.

**Helpful votes Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to Questions

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Beginner

Re: Ask Me Anything - CUCM Bulk Administration Tool: Practical Things You Can Use Every Day

We didn't get to this in the webex, can you give the steps for:

Another example (time permitting): Add a set of speed dials or abbreviated dials
to a set of phones (with or without a KEM)

Beginner

Re: Ask Me Anything - CUCM Bulk Administration Tool: Practical Things You Can Use Every Day

Hello.

There is two ways.

First is use API.

Second - Export Phone - All Details - Edit in Excell columns with SD - Save - Import as Phone All Details.

Regards

Participant

Hello,

I would like to ask regarding Phone Templates.

For example I am going insert phones using BAT --> Phones --> Insert phones.

What is purpose of Phone template ? Does it mean that data in CSV file have priority and all other options (which are not in CSV file) will be configured according to phone template ?

Thank you in advance

VIP Collaborator

Good question!

You can think of the phone template (and the line templates that you build into the phone template) as the 'common settings for all phones/lines built on that template'. The rules of the interaction between the CSV file and the template are:

1. If the field is in the template, but is not in the CSV file, then the setting in the template is applied to the phone.
  2. If the field is in the template and is also in the CSV file and the field is populated in the CSV file (is *not* blank), then the setting in the CSV file is applied to the phone.
  3. If the field is in the template and is also in the CSV file and the field is *not* populated in the CSV file (is blank), then the setting in the template is applied to the phone.

So, essentially, you are correct in saying that the CSV file has priority over the template during imports.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Maren

Participant

Thank you

Beginner

Ms. Mahoney,

I recently came across an issue when trying to import calling party transformation patterns using an export file. I'm getting the following unmapped exception, 'Unmapped Exception bad header in block 0 record 3, header magic is not 'ustar' or unix-style zeros, it is '76737871328065', or (dec) 76, 73, 78, 71, 32, 80, 65'

Are there additional files required as part of the upload? The export contains a header.txt text file. Is that required to be uploaded as part of the .tar file containing the CSV? 

Thank you,

Patrick

VIP Collaborator

Patrick,

Let me answer your second question first. Yes, the header file is required as part of the import TAR file. The header file tells the Import function which files are available for import. (Via: BAT > Import/Export > Import) If you use the same header file from the export TAR in the import TAR file, you should be fine.

As for that specific exception, let me say that I have imported called and calling transformation patterns without a problem in the past. So the problem is either the TAR file itself or the CSV inside the TAR file.

If you are editing the CSV file, it is possible the text is not formatted correctly. After finishing your edits and saving, open the CSV file in Notepad++. First, make sure that carriage returns, numbering (like E164) and such look okay. Second, do a "save as" and ensure that the file is saved as UTF-8 (rather than ANSI) text. UTF-8 is common in CUCM for text formatting. As but one example, the jabber-config.xml file must be UTF-8 formatted to be correctly read by CUCM.

And for the TAR file, use 7-Zip rather than WinZip or Microsoft's native compression function.

Let me know how this goes. If you do all of the above and it still doesn't work, I'll ask you to upload your TAR file (or send it to me privately) and I'll take a look.

Maren

Community Manager

Hi @Maren Mahoney thank you for the amazing session, we have learned lots.

Please help to answer some remaining questions from the live session

• Can you mention something about the product specific configuration layout?
  • How do I open a backup file using 7zip? I get an error, "Cannot open file"
  • Are importing or exporting data memory intensive?
Community Manager

In one of the last scenarios Maren presented, what will happen to the delated phone? Would the phone profile will be completely removed, or would it be still available when you search it in the DN or MAC address?

Community Manager

When editing, Maren used the csv to make edits but changed it back to text to upload. Is this a standard to upload the text file or leave it as a csv?

Community Manager

What would be the steps/process if we would like to unsubscribe VisualVoiceMail?­

Community Manager

Can we run a search to find out External Phone Mask on all the lines and devices?

Community Manager

­Both, the reports Maren downloaded and the files she uploaded.  Do they stay in the hard drive forever?  Thinking about large deployments, you probably don’t want 10+ 50mb files taking space for no reason, right? ­Could you please provide some comments?

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here