cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Cisco IM and Presence Installing, Integrating and Troubleshooting

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to this Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to ask questions about Cisco IM and Presence to Nagajothi Thangapandian and Sathishbabu Muthalagan.

Ask questions from Monday November 2nd to Friday November 13 , 2015

Cisco IM and Presence delivers enhanced enterprise IM features, group chats, and IM logging, along with a suite of business-to-business and business-to-consumer IM and presence open federations. Customers deploying Cisco Unified Communications Manager can then view the presence status or availability of the people they want to communicate with, exchange instant messages with these individuals, and escalate to a voice and video call or rich collaborative session.

This session will help customers with Troubleshooting Cisco IM & presence install and it’s UC integration related issues.

Nagajothi and Sathishbabu will be helping you with all your queries on all of the above.

Nagajothi Thangapandian is a Customer Support Engineer in Cisco TAC team in Bangalore. She has been working with TAC for past 4 years and has 7 years of industry experience working with enterprise deployment and troubleshooting. Her area of expertise includes Cisco Unified Communications Manager, IM & Presence server, Cisco Jabber, Attendant Console and Prime Collaboration Provisioning. She is graduated with a Bachelor of Electronics and Communication from Anna University. She holds CCNA, CCNP - Voice and RHCE. She is also pursuing CCIE Collaboration and VCP.

Sathishbabu Muthalagan is a Customer Support Engineer in Cisco TAC based out in Bangalore, India. He has been working with TAC for past 2 years and has 5 years of industry experience working with enterprise deployment and troubleshooting. His area of expertise covers Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco IM and Presence, Cisco Unity Connection, Cisco Unified Attendant Console, Cisco Emergency Responder, Cisco Jabber and Prime Collaboration Provisioning. He is graduated with a Bachelor of Electronics and Communication Engineering from Anna University. He has achieved certifications for CCNA, CCNP - Voice and he is also pursuing CCIE Collaboration and RHC.

Find other  https://supportforums.cisco.com/expert-corner/events.

Because of the volume expected during this event, Nagajothi and Sathishbabu might not be able to answer every question. 

**Ratings Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to Questions

Join the Discussion : Cisco Ask the Expert

62 Replies 62

Hello,

In one of my recent implementation,I  faced an issue related to presence that once the user logged in to jaber,the display name is coming as ( userid@....com), I need to change this to name@....com.

CUCM /CMP version is 10.5, and everything else is working . I have given the display name properly.Please suggest where the issue is?

Thanks

Hi Afsal,

This scenario does not involve IMP server here. Though it is out of this session's scope, can give you few hints.

The jabber display name is depends on the directory integration. Either your LDAP or CUCM can act as directory source for your jabber. Configuring the required servcie profile or jabber-config.xml file will fix this issue.

More details about Directory integration, please refer: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/configure_directory_integration.html

Here is the link for Jabber config file Generator, using this you can prepare jabber-config.xml file: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/106926/jabber-config-file-generator

lorenz84gDD
Level 1
Level 1

Dear experts,

I've two questions for you:

1) With IMP 9 is there a way to add to the certificates a SAN field? I mean like with CUCM 10.5

2)In IMP 10 where is the failover button? See screenshot attached. How can I rever the nodes to the correct status?

lorenz

------- have a look to my blog lgrconsulting.com

Hi Lorenz,

Thanks for your query, please find my answer below,

1) With IMP 9 is there a way to add to the certificates a SAN field? I mean like with CUCM 10.5

Yes, with IMP 9 you can add SAN field for tomcat cert using this command set web-security.

For more details please refer: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_0/english/cli_ref/cli_ref.html#wp2654700

2) In IMP 10 where is the failover button? See screenshot attached. How can I rever the nodes to the correct status?

Presence redundancy is moved CUCM (System>Presence redundancy group>Presence Redundancy Group Configuration). You can do fallback/failover from here. See screenshot attached.

What about the XMPP cert? I thought it was mandatory to have the SAN in the XMPP certificate but apparently for CUCM 9 this is not the case see the following examples.

Question is

1)How can I add multiple SAN fields to the XMPP certificate in IMP9? My issue is that I need to configure 2 different DNS domains one will be tsxxx.com and the other it.xxx.com because I use domain tsxxx.com for presence and the network domain for the imp machine is it.xxx.com. (see ver. 10 cert)

2)Is the SAN field mandatory for having Jabber to work considering I'll implement also MRA? I guess the answer is yes

This is taken from a XMPP cert on IMP 10:

KeyUsage [
digitalSignature, keyEncipherment, dataEncipherment, keyAgreement, ]
SubjectAltName [
tsxxx.com (dNSName)
ch-cimpabc0-02.it.xxx.com (dNSName)
]

This is from a XMPP cert on IMP 9:

KeyUsage (OID.2.5.29.15)
Critical: false
Usages: digitalSignature, keyEncipherment, dataEncipherment, keyAgreement, keyCertSign,
]

thanks again for ur help :)

Hi Lorenz,

1. SAN field in 9.x for XMPP cannot be added and not required

2. SAN is not mandatory in 10.x. In 10.x it auto populates the presence domain as SAN in xmpp certificate. The domain configured under presence -- Advanced settings will be populated as SAN field for XMPP certificate

In 9.x there is an additional step we follow for XMPP :

Step 1   Open the administration interface for your presence server, as follows:
  • Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence Service — Open the Cisco Unified CM IM and Presence Administration interface.
  • Cisco Unified Presence — Open the Cisco Unified Presence Administration interface.
Step 2   Select System > Security > Settings.
Step 3   Locate the XMPP Certificate Settings section.
Step 4   Specify the presence server domain in the following field: Domain name for XMPP Server-to-Server Certificate Subject Alternative Name.
Step 5   Select the following checkbox: Use Domain Name for XMPP Certificate Subject Alternative Name.
Step 6   Click Save.

in 10.x and later there is no need of above step as the presence domain field is auto populated as SAN in XMPP certificate.

Addition info:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/set_up_certificate_validation.html#CJAB_TK_U9438C1B_00

Regards

michaelzhq
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, I have a question regarding Presence 11 bootable media.

I got the message below from Cisco PUT team:

"Please know that Instant Messaging & Presence (IM&P) is bundled into the CUCM upgrades (I.e. UCM-11.0-SW-K9=) hence you would need to order the applicable Cisco Unified Communication Manager (CUCM) upgrade to receive media for IM&P."

Is this correct? 

Thanks, 

Michael

Hi Michael,

The IM&P image is free of license and nothing charged on this behalf. Hence has the restriction of getting IMP image, if only CUCM bootable image or upgrade image purchased. Hope this helps. Let us know for further queries.

Regards

[+5]  to Nagajothi

Hi Michael,

I have not placed order for CUCM/IMP 11 through PUT till now  but I checkd the ordering guide which only talks about the Part Code which u have mentioned.

So, place the order for CUCM upgrade and opt for e-delivery/update us.

regds,

aman

lorenz84gDD
Level 1
Level 1

Dear expert,

thanks for your answer, I appreciate it. I have another quick question:

1)This concerns locations. I want to get rid of this mechanism because I don't want users that login for the first time into Jabber to be prompted for adding a new location. Where is the MAC-Address tracking the location saved? I guess it's in the IMP's db. Right?

thanks

lorenz

Hi Lorenz,

Thanks for your query.

By default, jabber client will use MAC address of the network default gateway for Location identification. This MAC will not be stored in IM and P db, it should be stored in jabber client only.

This location feature does not involve IMP server, can give you few hints.

Currently, the location feature can be disabled via the jabber-config.xml file with the following config:
Location_Disabled

Till jabber v10.6.2, we cannot get rid of location notification for the first time login and bug also raised for the same: CSCut76202. There is a workaround available for this bug, for more details please refer this link:https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCut76202/?reffering_site=dumpcr

The fact is that after uninstalling jabber, deleting all the content in Local/Roaming folders it's still caching somewhere the MAC address of the default GW. I guess at this point it's in the registry. Can you point me where?

I'm trying to build an msi packege for a global rollout and it's almost impossible to test if the location_disabled feature built in the msi is working.

lorenz

Hi Lorenz,

Thanks for your interest. This scenario is out of this session's scope, however I can give you few hints.

Jabber does not seems to be caching the GW MAC in PC registry. Jabbers seems to getting the default GW MAC from the system network interface, please see the below log. Once jabber identifies the new GW MAC, it pops up the Location notification.

2015-11-03 13:58:04,216 DEBUG [0x00000df0] [stem-monitor\src\NetworkMonitor.cpp(452)] [network-monitor] [CSFSystemMonitor::NetworkMonitor::discoverCurrentGatewayAndMacAddress] - Gateway IP Address: [10.0.0.254], Gateway Mac Address: [00::00::0C::07::AC::01]
2015-11-03 13:58:04,216 DEBUG [0x00000df0] [telephonyservice\BandwidthHelper.cpp(54)] [jcf.tel.ecc.bandwidth] [CSFUnified::BandwidthHelper::setMacAddress] - BandwidthHelper::setMacAddress value is 00..00..0C..07..AC..01.

Team,

Kindly note that I have an environment with CUCM & CMP with 9.1. The issue I am facing is new users which I have created (both through local & LDAP) is not syncronizing to the presence server. Here I have used presence server for authentication,so when the user trying to login through jaber ,it is getting invalid credentials.

Thank you for your support.

Please ignore this as I could manage after restarting the sync service in presence.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: