Helpful
Replies

Ask The Expert: Video Communications Server and CUCM Integration

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioVideo Communications Server and CUCM Integration
with Mahesh Anjan

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to configure and troubleshoot interoperability between Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server (VCS) and Cisco Unified Communication Manager (CUCM) systems and how to debug various endpoint and protocol combinations. Mahesh is a senior software engineer in the Voice Technology Group at Cisco. He is a expert in deployment of video communication services, enterprise video solutions, and other Telepresence products as well as unified communications. He has vast experience in VCS and CUCM interoperability deployments. Mahesh has worked at Cisco since 2005. He holds a bachelor’s degree in electronics and communication engineering from Bangalore University, a master’s degree in computer engineering from Wichita State University, and an MBA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Remember to use the rating system to let Mahesh know if you have received an adequate response. 

Mahesh might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration, Voice and Video, Unified Communications Applications discussion forum shortly after the event.   This event lasts through January 13, 2012. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

35 Replies 35

Thanks Mahesh.

On a related topic, is it possible to call into CTMS from endopoint registered to VCS?

e.g.

EX90 -> VCS -> CUCM -> SIP Trunk -> CTMS

We have a VCS environment however we connect to another organisation's CUCM/CTS environment.  Currently we use our TP Server to host conferences between our orgniasations however it would be good to be able to use their CTMS sometimes (e.g. if they have many of their own CTS endpoints connecting and we only have 1 - 2 of our endpoints in the conference).

Since CTMS does not support Native interop as of today , I would front end CTMS with MXE so u dont hit any interop issue ...we always front end with MXE and the one such scenario we tested with CTMS  .for Eg : 9971 ---UCM ---UCM ----SIP trunk--- MXE --SIP T--UCM --SIP T-CTMS .  if you calling from TIP capable endpoint behind VCS i dont see any reason why it would not work.if you run into any issue let us know.

Mahesh Anjan

jmunoz19
Level 4
Level 4

How can I make use of a VCS Expressway with C series endpoints registered to CUCM?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,  you are asking C-Series endpoints as teleworker endpoint and have it registered to UCM

C-Series -- >ISP ---->VCSe -----> UCM

VCS Expressway integration with UCM is not yet supported. traversal integration i.e traversal client is with VCS control only at present. we are actually looking into development of this new architecture with UCM.

Mahesh Anjan

What is Cisco's solution for getting remote endpoints registered to CUCM?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

we typically use anyconnect vpn to connect ,,, on 9971 and cius endpoints to connect to UCM enterprise.

i understand your concern,

Is this a acceptable solution  ? Ex90 ---> UCM ---> VCS ---->VCSx . ex90 registering  to UCM via VCS ? VCS will serve as proxy and traversal agent and the UCM feature set and registration would terminate on UCM.

thanks,

Mahesh

Mahesh Anjan

In that scenerio, the endpoint registers to the VCS, not the CUCM.  How can I get endpoints to register to CUCM?  Is this something that's possible with CUBE?

Thanks, Jeff

The scenario was actually this way, Ex90 ---> ISP ---VCSx ---> VCS ---->UCM  , ex90 residing in remote location ,
at present we dont have the capability in VCS to proxy the registration , the solution i mentioned above will be available sometime early next year and it being roadmapped

i think you are referring to CUBE registration pass through , if it is here are the config steps, refer to configuring support for SIP registration section in the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/cube/configuration/guide/vb-gw-sipsip.html#wp1461656

Mahesh Anjan

Jeff, it is possible to proxy the registration across VCSe and VCSc. traversal agent that you setup between VCSe and VCSc has to be configured to allow proxy registration and in the neighbor zone of VCSc that connects to UCM via SIP trunk has to be set to allow proxy registration. in this case the register packets from teleworker site will be funnneled all the way to UCM.

Mahesh Anjan

Joshua Hoag
Level 1
Level 1

Mahesh,

I'm wondering what are the  advantages and disadvantages of registering EX60/EX90 end points to CUCM  8.6+ as opposed to registering them to a VCS. Thanks.

Joshua,

advantages :

1. you can leverage BFCP support on the endpoints and do presentation share with other UCM video capable endpoints

2. if you just have Unified communications in your enterprise you can leverage these gears for point to point video call with other UCM video capable endpoints , like Ex90 --- to ---- CTS with no xcoder in between

3. endpoints support TIP

4. you can join adhoc video conference from these phones

5. High resolution video

6. you can leverage same voicemail system that is being used for UCM phones

Register endpoints to VCS when these are required

1. Encryption
  2. Ad hoc conferencing – Add Participant and Join features
  3. H.323 registration
  4. IPv6
  5. Registering through VCS Expressway (Teleworker)
  6. TMS scheduling and management of TE/TC endpoints on UCM
Mahesh Anjan

Hi Mahesh,

We want to setup our VCS starter pack in our DMZ so that movi clients may register through the internet. Also we want to be able to make and allow calls in to our system from an systems external to our VCS.

Reading the support forum I see people insisting that you must have the dual NIC option with static NAT enabled.  At the same time I was given the impression that you do this NAT in your ASA.

Does the VCS really need to have a public ip on one interface to accept external calls/registrations?

I currently have an external dns zone setup, if I initiate external call from inside will this call succeed even though VCS has private ip behind firewall?

Hi Ricardo,

Please look as VCS control /expressway deployment guide found at the link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Expressway_Starter_Pack_Deployment_Guide_X5-1.pdf

what holds true for the Expressway holds true for the starter pack, If you want to use static NAT on VCS you need the dual network interfaces key.

the call needs to be delivered to the VCS and if you do not have dual network interfaces the call must not have a NAT between it and the endpoint

.. so simple answer is NO VCS does not need to have a public IP, but it depends on your configuration ,

...also signalling should work, but VCS will send media to private IP address, will other device be able to send media to that address?  is the expressway behind a firewall?

thanks,

Mahesh

Mahesh Anjan

Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for your answer.

Well I see your point.  Expressway is behind a firewall and firewall holds the public ip address anyway.

To answer my last question " I currently have an external dns zone setup, if I initiate external call from inside will this call succeed even though VCS has private ip behind firewall? "

I tested today and this holds true.  I called an engineer by calling somename@cisco.com and call was established between us even though VCS was internal to my network.  I can understand that my call being initiated from the inside allowed traffic back into the VCS and my endpoint.  My idea was if this works why cant it work in reverse?

Well thanks again for the insight!

HI,

Is IP address of VCS a routable address as far as endpoint is concerned, or is outside calling device registered to the VCS?
What IP forwarding has been set up in the outside firewall?

I am assuming a config:

VCS – Firewall – network – Endpoint

Please provide details of IP address of VCS, and IP address of outside firewall in DMZ.

Mahesh Anjan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: