Helpful
Replies

Ask The Expert: Video Communications Server and CUCM Integration

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioVideo Communications Server and CUCM Integration
with Mahesh Anjan

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to configure and troubleshoot interoperability between Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server (VCS) and Cisco Unified Communication Manager (CUCM) systems and how to debug various endpoint and protocol combinations. Mahesh is a senior software engineer in the Voice Technology Group at Cisco. He is a expert in deployment of video communication services, enterprise video solutions, and other Telepresence products as well as unified communications. He has vast experience in VCS and CUCM interoperability deployments. Mahesh has worked at Cisco since 2005. He holds a bachelor’s degree in electronics and communication engineering from Bangalore University, a master’s degree in computer engineering from Wichita State University, and an MBA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Remember to use the rating system to let Mahesh know if you have received an adequate response. 

Mahesh might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration, Voice and Video, Unified Communications Applications discussion forum shortly after the event.   This event lasts through January 13, 2012. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

35 Replies 35

Hi,

This diagram better explains current setup. I have all intentions to move the VCS to the DMZ after finalizing this design.  The VCS ( 10.16.0.214/26) is a single standalone Starter Pack Express and it is on a different subnet from the enpoints (10.17.0.x/26) but it is a fully routeable address so they can find it no problem.  Both VCS, workstations and endpoints access the internet in the same manner and that is through a dynamic PAT on the outside interface of the firewall(72.27.x.x) while the inside interface has ip (10.16.0.1/27).  I suppose Cisco has a full firewall traversal setup on their side.

Ricardo, Our recommendation is to put the VCSe in the DMZ and have the traversal agent between VCSe to VCSc

VCSe is set up with public ip outside and private ip to talk to VCSc .

if you can elaborate on what you are trying to achieve by having VCSe inside the enterprise , i can think of more suggestion.

thanks,

Mahesh

Mahesh Anjan

Hi Mahesh,

When you choose to register endpoints with CUCM you said that you can do adhoc conferencing from phones.

If say a EX90/C40 has built in multisite can I still have a 4 participant multipoint call?  Does EX90/c40 NPP still work?

Can I still make a call to enpoints external to my network even though we would not use VCS?

Can you provide a list of supported Telepresence endpoints in CUCM 8.6?

Thanks

Hi Ricardo,

as I said in my earlier email, you cannot invoke adhoc conference from Telepresence endpoints registered to UCM it is not yet supported however you can invoke from non-telepresence endpoint such as 9971 or 8945 and bring in the ex90 / c or e endpoints. this will be changed in next release version of endpoint software - TC6

MCU adhoc conference that is supported by UCM 8.6 is supported only for conference button on 9971 and is not supported for multisite, so you are limited to 3 party at the moment. this will be changed in Tc6

If i understood your question right , was ur question w.r.t t multisite or just point to point call ?

, telepresence endpoint that are registered to UCM can be used to make external calls to a different UCM cluster or a gateway call or a pstn ..within UCM you should have bidirectional video and across pstn you will get just a audio .

in 8.6 following telepresence endpoints are supported :

• Ex series
  • E-20
  • MX200
  • CTS 500, 1k , 3k
  • C- Series

Mahesh Anjan

Hi Mahesh

just to sumup the intop using UCM and/or VCS

because you mentioned above that a MCU need to be part of the booked call in TMS !! what about if we have CTMS,Codain 4500 or TP server as per below:

1- VC endpoints registered to VCS and  CTS and  997/8945 to UCM 8.6

which one of the bellow can be used for adhoc and scheduled meeting using TMS

CTMS, TP server or UCM codian 4500 ? assuming TMS and most of the endpoints support OBTP now

if the CTMS is an option for adhoc and scheduled how the TMS select the CTMS for a cetain multipoint call for endpoints in UCM and/or VCS ?

2- for endpoints all registered to UCM and some movi client coming over traversal- VC-E how this can join a call in the above case ? point to point to multipoint ?

3- how to join third party end points in the above adhoc or booked multipoint calls ( direct dial or a xcoder/TP server is required ? )

- if any xcoder required in the above cases and when ?

Thanks

Marwan

Hi Marwan,

1. at present TP and MCU registered to VCS can be leveraged in TMS to book adhoc and scheduled conference. while booking the conference i have added CTS , 9971 to the conference.

CTMS is not yet supported with TMS, it is in the roadmap

2. Here is how you can leverage  adhoc/meet me conference on TMS for UC endpoints. normally you will be presented a number to call into bridge which would be adhoc numbers that is displayed under conference bridge like a series of auto generated number lets say you have 51555, 51556, 51557 etc . Once you know the conference bridge numbers , go to a particular MCU which you intend to book ( MCU -->Setting--> Extended settings ) and configure that first generated 51555. Once you config that number go to UCM and and create a route pattern on UCM and SIP trunk point to MCU. now all the UC endpoints can call this meet me number and join the bridge.

I think MOVi  over VCS-e would traverse through VCS to reach conference bridge just like VCS endpoints as VCS will know the adhoc conference numbers

For Schedule conference , add the UC endpoints& MCU and do a outdial via IP option presented in TMS of the phone. call need not have to traverse UCM TMS will connect uc endpoints via IP. for MOVi behind VCS-e your VCSe and VCSc should have appropriate search rule to hand of the call to MCU

3, for third party do the following

when you select Booking > New Conference and then select Add Participants, you can select the External tab and then choose either Dial Ins or Dial Outs to your conferences and specify the number to call out, make sure the endpoints are reachable whether it is across gateway or pstn by having appropriate pattern. You also have the Protocols and Types.

After you add them, e.g. Dial Ins, then look at the Connection Settings tab on how they’ll dial in. More than likely, you’ll need an MCU configured and added to the TMS so has to do these Dial Ins.

BTW, this is somewhat explained in the TMS Online Help when your in the Booking > New Conference page, i.e. question mark to the upper right hand corner of the GUI

thanks,

Mahesh

Mahesh Anjan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: