cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS - Unity and Unity Connection with Tim Tesluk

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to integrate and troubleshoot Unity and Unity Connection with Cisco expert Tim Tesluk. Tim is a customer support engineer in the Cisco Technical Assistance Center. He has worked on the Unity and Unity Connection support team in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina since 2007. Tim holds a bachelorā€™s degree in Computer Science from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He is also a Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP).

Remember to use the rating system to let Tim know if you have received an adequate response.

Tim might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Other Collaboration, Voice and Video discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through March 25, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

37 Replies 37

Trung Minh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I am a newbie, I dont know where i can post this question,

Please sympathetic.

I have question about application control from long time ago i can not resolved it.

I am using Cisco Router 2821, Version 12.4(15)T12, how i can using this Router to block all  skype protocol for my offices ???..

Althrough, i found many guide on internet for block skype, but i don know how can i setup or using FPM, SDM... for my Router.

I very confused that, how and where i can started... Please help me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for your  consideration.

Best regards,

Hi Trung,

Thanks for posting but unfortunately, Application Control Engine devices are not within my realm of expertise. I'm able to address questions regarding Unity and Unity Connection, which are two of Cisco's voicemail solutions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/index.html

I think your question might better be addressed if you post it in this forum instead:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/data-center/application-network

Cheers,

Tim

Mike Lydick
Level 1
Level 1

Can you clarify the different service accounts required for Unity connection Exchange Message store intergration?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting. "Unity Connection Exchange Message Store Integration" could mean a couple of different things, but I'm going to assume here that you're referring to the recently released Single Inbox feature for Unity Connection 8.5. If your question was about a different feature, just let me know and I'll be happy to re-address it. This feature does require setting up a special user account (which we refer to as a service account) in your Active Directory environment. Depending on which version of Exchange you intend to use with Unity Connection, you'll need to assign certain privelges to that account, so that it's able to access the contents of your user's Exchange mailboxes. Then, when you configure the Unified Messaging Service on the Unity Connection Administration interface, you'll provide that new service account's authentication credentials. In some cases, it might be necessary to configure more than on of these accounts, if for example your Exchange environment is distributed across multiple Active Directory Forests. The following document goes into a little bit more detail.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/unified_messaging/guide/85xcucumg020.html#wp1169917

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tim

Sorry I was not clear. Yes the question was based on Unity Connection 8.5. The service account setup is a bit merky with the different versions of exchange.

So with any Exchange version the use of Webdav is a requirement?

mike

Hi Mike,

WebDav is the protocol used only with Exchange 2003. Exchange Web Service (EWS) is used when integrating with Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010.

If you have more questions or need more clarification, keep them coming!

Cheers,

Tim

Mike Lydick
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any plans for Cisco to support VM tools for restoring Unity Connection. I have a few customers asking if it is possible to forgo DRS and use VM based tools for DR solutions.

mike

Hi Mike,

Another excellent question. I unfrotunately don't have information to share about the development or support roadmap for Unity or Unity Connection. At best I can advise speaking with your Cisco sales team and letting them know your customers are interested in support for thrid-party backup solutions, especially in VMWare. As it stand right now, DRS is the only officially supported backup solution for Unity Connection.

Cheers,

Tim

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.  I do have a few myself:

1. With CUC 8.5 Single Inbox, is the singular Exchange 2010 Service account the same account used for meeting statuses?  i.e., PCTR for periods during a meeting, or TUI and playback of upcoming meeting?
  2. For PCTR can a user have it setup so that it's a menu option out of their mailbox, and not an always on or always off feature?  i.e., "I'm away from my desk or on the other line.  If this is an emergency, please press 1 to have the system find me, otherwise please leave your message..."
  3. FOR Cisco PCA, can you selectively grey out, or remove features in an effort to limit or control what the user can modify?
  4. What's a better option for routing CFNA on Hunt Pilots:
    1. Do you add the Unity VM Ports LG to the Hunt Pilot's HL, and setup a direct routing rule for the hunt pilot number?
    2. Do you add the Unity Pilot number to the CFNA on the Hunt Pilot, and setup a Forwad Routing rule for the hunt pilot number?

1. With 8.5 and SI, what rules are applied to a voiceamil to determine if the message From Address is the Unity Message Address or the Unity user's address? (I'm currently only seeing the Unity From Address)

1. With 8.5 and SI, what rules are applied to a voicemail to determine if the message From Address is the User's Unity Address (.e.g, userid@unity.domain.com) or the User's Corporate Address (.e.g, userid@domain.com)?  I have the corporate e-mail entered, the proxy check box checked, and am at a loss.  Thanks.

Thanks again, I look forward to you reply.

EDIT: Added one more

EDIT2: Swapped the last item for a new one as I realized it was confusing and not asking the correct question.

Hi Anthony,

1. Short answer, yes. Long answer when you add a Unified Messaging Service on your Unity Connection server, you'll see a list of "Service Capabilities". One of them is Exchange Calendar Synchronization. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/gui_reference/guide/8xcucgrg085.html#wp1106653

2. Defining caller input actions is not a part of the Personal Call Transfer Rules feature. That is something the VoIP administrator could work with the end user to create a caller input rule via the Unity Connection Administration web page. You can find Caller Input settings in the Edit menu from that end user's profile. This page defines what happens when certain buttons are pressed while callers are listening to this user's recorded greeting. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/gui_reference/guide/8xcucgrg010.html#wp1051392

3. That depends on which specific PCA feature's you were hoping to disable. Many of them can be added or removed by chosing them in their assigned Class of Service in the Unity Connection Administration inteface. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/gui_reference/guide/8xcucgrg020.html

4. It's not clear from your description of your scenarios who is trying to hunt what, but I'll take a stab at describing how Unity Connection voice mail port line groups should be configured (typically). From a high level ... All of your Unity Connection server's voicemail ports need to be in one line group. That line group needs to be a member of a hunt list. That hunt list needs needs to be referenced by a hunt pilot. That hunt pilot needs to have the same DN as a voice mail pilot on the system. That voicemail pilot number needs to be referenced by a voicemail profile. That voicemail profile needs to be assigned to your phones. By having that voicemail profile assigned to a phone (or DN really) when you select the check box in the  "voicemail" column in any row in the "Call Forward and Call Pickup Settings" section, it will use that voicemail pilot number assigned to that voicemail profile.

5. I haven't had a chance to play around with the new ViewMail plug-in yet (should be soon though), but according to the following article, you can confire an SMTP proxy address for the user, which is  typically the user's Exchange email address. When the user sends a voice  message by using ViewMail for Outlook, the From address is the sender's  Exchange email address, and the To address is the recipient's Exchange  email address. Connection uses the SMTP proxy address to associate the  From address with the Connection user who sent the message and the To  address with the Connection user who is the intended recipient.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/design/guide/8xcucdg032.html#wp1126375

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/gui_reference/guide/8xcucgrg010.html#wp1178886

Let me know if you want further clarification!

Cheers,

Tim

Thank you for the reply!

ttesluk wrote:

4. It's not clear from your description of your scenarios who is trying to hunt what...

I was speaking more to a call coverage for users, not how the vm ports are configured.  Say you had a small hunt group of sales phones, and if no one answers it should go to a general sales voicemail box.  My two scenarios describe different ways of getting the caller into the mailbox.  Both work, I'm just wondering which is preferred.  Or which way do you like, and why?

ttesluk wrote:

5. I haven't had a chance to play around with the new ViewMail plug-in yet (should be soon though)...

This actually made me realize (and test with wireshark) something I never knew about ViewMail.  It sends the e-mail to Unity, and not to Exchange.  Knowing that fact helps me to understand a few other things too.  But what my question was really asking is: how do I get the e-mail to show as though it came from the proxy address, or the coroporate address (both are the same in my environment), as opposed to the unity smtp address?

Thanks again.

avholloway wrote:

[...]  Say you had a small hunt group of sales phones, and if no one answers it should go to a general sales voicemail box.  My two scenarios describe different ways of getting the caller into the mailbox.  Both work, I'm just wondering which is preferred.  Or which way do you like, and why?

Ah,  I understand now. I wouldn't suggest that one method is more correct  than the other. They are both valid. There is no "best practice" for  this type of call flow. This is part of the elegance of the CUCM and  Unity/Unity Connection integration; There are inumerable ways to  configure your desired end-user experience!

avholloway wrote:

[...] my question was really asking is: how do I get the e-mail to show as though it came from the proxy address, or the coroporate address (both are the same in my environment), as opposed to the unity smtp address?

Hmmmm...  I can't seem to find a way to accomplish this. This might not be  possible in the current incarnation of the feature. I'll run this by  some of the developers who wrote this feature and see what they have to  say. I'll post another reply in this thread if I get a reply soon.

Cheers,

Tim

Regarding the e-mail address - Could I just change the SMTP domain to the corporate domain?

SMTP Server    Configuration

SMTP Domain

(Display only) The domain name that  Cisco Unity Connection uses to route messages between digitally  networked Connection servers and to construct the SMTP address of the  sender on outgoing SMTP messages.

For each user, Connection creates an SMTP address of  @. This SMTP address is displayed on the  Edit User Basics page for the user. Examples of outgoing SMTP messages  that use this address format include messages sent by users on this  server to recipients on other digitally networked Connection servers and  messages that are sent from the Connection phone interface or Messaging  Inbox and relayed to an external server based on the Message Actions  setting of the recipient.

Connection also uses the SMTP Domain to create sender VPIM addresses on  outgoing VPIM messages, and to construct the From address for  notifications that are sent to SMTP notification devices.

When Connection is first installed, the SMTP Domain is automatically set to the fully qualified host name of the server.

Brian Lavallee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tim,

I have a slew of questions, but will start with an easy one.

Is there a way to put multiple addresses in the ā€œMessage Actions >> Relay Addressā€ field?

My current solution relies on external distribution lists.

Sincerely,

Brian LaVallee

Cisco Unity Connection

Version 7.1.5ES7.10000-7

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: