Views
Helpful
Replies

automatic logging out for 'idle'phones?

twanrijpers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

for a customer with CUCM 8.6 I have a question for automatic logging off of individual phones based on a pre-determined period (eg 1 hour/1 day) when a phone has not been used? Maybe there is a third part solution?

Thanx,

Twan Rijpers

Sales Consultant

E-mail      : twan.rijpers@imtech.nl

Mobiel      : +31 (0)6 54 302314

Imtech ICTCommunication Solutions
Rivium Boulevard 41, 2909 LK Capelle aan den IJssel
Postbus 8706, 3009 AS Rotterdam
T. 010 - 447 76 00
| F. 010- 447 76 60 | W. www.imtechict.nl

4 Replies 4

chikeobi.njaka
Level 4
Level 4

Can you use the idle url to execute a service that checks if someone is logged in, then log them off.

Best Regards,

Chikeobi

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Twan,

Unfortunately, the logout feature of EM is absolute time based and not idle time based.  I am not aware of any 3rd party solutions that do this. Additionally, because phone activity is not stored in CUCM, the application would have to monitor a phone's activity and issue a logout when a certain threshold has been reached.  That might not be trivial to do.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

Hi Twan,

I don't know if you still require assistance for this. The answer I gave you was a bit simplistic and does not address what you'd need to do.

The good news is that I thik there is a solution to what you want to do. The best part of it is that you will not have to write a CTI application that will monitor a boatload of devices. As you know, there is a limit to the number of such monitors the CUCM can support (better in 8.6 than earlier version, but not unlimited).

Say your policy is that idle EM logins should not exceed 4 hours and total EM login time cannot exceed 8 hours. The 8-hour policy can be enforced by CUCM, no problem. To enforce the 4-hour idle EM login, you would need an application that uses the idle URL in conjunction with some record keeping to do it.

Using a combination of:

• Idle URL execution (sets timer )
  • creative use of HTTP refresh timer on the Idle URL. This will help indicate that the phone indeed is idle

If you are willing to set the idle URL timer to 4 hours, then the solution is simple: log off the currently logged in person when the idle URL executes. If, however, you need the idle timer to be less than 4 hours (the login idle limit), then you can use the refresh timer to update the fact that the phone is still idle. Then when the limit has passed and the same user is logged in, you can force log them out.

Makes sense?  No monitoring. Pretty clean. You will need AXL to find out who is curretnly logged in and to log them off.

Chikeobi Njaka

n.warburton
Level 1
Level 1

re: your questions around whether there are 3rd party applications available I believe domincomms have an application called idle logout. Might be worth looking at if you are stuck developing a solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: