Views
Helpful
Replies

Autoprovision and internal caller ID name

FAST-DETECT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are using CUCM 11.5 with AD integration. If a new employee joins the company, a new User and DN gets created via LDAP sync. All the name fields are correctly imported from the AD to CUCM. 

The new employee will then use the self/auto provision feature of CUCM to setup his/her new phone. I have created Universal Device/Line Templates to go along with this procedure.

However if the new employee calls someone in the office only the number is shown on the ringing phone and not his name. To correct this I need to open the new employee's DN and click "Edit Line Appearance" in the list containing the associated devices. I then would need to scroll down till the section "Line 1 on Device XYZ" and fill in the same Information that is already prenset on top of the page under "Alerting Name" and "Description"

I know I can export all the line appearences via Bulk Edit, fix them and reupload them. I can also use SQL on CLI to fix it. However is there a way that those fields under "Line Appearance" are filled in automatically upon device auto provisioning? Or is there a setting to override the Line Appearance for all devices and just use the fields from the top of the DN-page (Alerting Name, Description)?

thx,

Fabian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

john boxold
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question, on your Universal Device Template. Does your Phone Button Configuration Line 1 show Line Label or Display?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Can not answer your question about the auto provision as I have no personal experience with this. However for the other part I can give you input. These are two different distinct fields in CM, display name is used when someone calls from the directory number and also on the calling device when the call is answered. Whereas alerting name is used when someone calls to the directory number.

This post might help to explain the difference between the two. https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/alerting-name/td-p/2850851

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

thanks, while this does not solve my "problem" I now see why called DNs did show the Alerting Names on the Calling Party phone but not the other way round. 

regards,

Fabian

john boxold
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question, on your Universal Device Template. Does your Phone Button Configuration Line 1 show Line Label or Display?

Hi John,

You just solved my problem. I didn't realize that the line can be edited. The Fields there Display (Caller ID) etc. were just empty. I entered the correct values and I think the phone that gets provisioned will be "just" fine. A new employee starts on monday so we'll see how that goes

regards,

Fabian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: