Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup a new Publisher node after a failure

Hamza DEHAL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a CUCM cluster (One Publisher and one Subscruber) after a disaster on the infrastructure, it happened that I lost the Publisher node, the VoIP system is now running only on the Subscriber.

In order to rebuild the Publisher I installed a new VM with CUCM same exact version, network parameters and credentials as the old Publisher.

In order to backup the Publisher I saw that I can do it either by: Backing up the new Publisher from the existing Subscriber, or Backing up the new Publisher from a DRS backup took before the disaster, Which option is the best in order to rebuild the Publisher? Does any of these options will recover licenses as well or they are lost anyways ?

Also I found that in order to bring the Publisher up I need to stop the replication from the Subscriber, does this enough to avoid loosing the database from the subscriber if I bring up the new "empty" Publisher ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

With that version your licenses are handled by PLM. If you have a standalone PLM server you'll all good and don't need to do anything. If you have it as part of your Publisher you should do a restore of PLM from DRS as well.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Assume that your meaning a restore of the Publisher, not a backup? If so the best option in my opinion is to do a restore from a good DRS backup. If you don’t have a backup that is good, the option to restore the database from the subscriber is your only option. The reason for why DRS is the best option is that it restores more than “just” the database. On the question about licenses, to answer this you’ll need to share what version of CM that you have?

Response Signature

Hello @Roger Kallberg 

Thank you for your reply, Yes I mean Restore, sorry for that.

I do have a good and recent DRS backup.

I have CUCM v11.5 

With that version your licenses are handled by PLM. If you have a standalone PLM server you'll all good and don't need to do anything. If you have it as part of your Publisher you should do a restore of PLM from DRS as well.

Response Signature

Thanks @Roger Kallberg 

Any advice when powering the new Publisher on so that I won't loose the subscriber's DB when it tries replicating with the new Publisher ?

My recommendation would be to keep the Sub offline.

Response Signature

Hamza DEHAL
Level 1
Level 1

@Roger Kallberg 

Everything worked with restoring the subscriber, thank you for your help.

My concern now is with the PLM, it shows the licenses fulfillment but in the PLM it can't synchronize with the product instance and it shows "Registration Conflict" ! Also in the CUCM it shows that it's running with demo within 60days 

Any help would be much appreciated

Try removing the product instance and add it again to PLM.

Response Signature

After deleting it and adding it again, It says now "Demo Licenses, Will expire on 19-Mar-2022, Synchronization Successful"

instance.JPG

But I can see that the licenses exists after DR backup under fulfillment but not used (at least as I beleive)

ful.JPG

It was quite some time ago since I had PLM as we moved to SL when we upgraded to 12.5 a few years ago and I don't recall the details on this specifics. Likely it would be best for you to reach out to the Cisco license support organization (GLO) for help on looking into this.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: