cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BE6000 server decommissioning and wiping out configuration

LibinBenedict
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to decommission some of my BE6000 servers which used to host the collaboration VMs.

If I do Reset settings under the KVM console from the CIMC, what all configurations will be removed -

1. All predeployed VMs which came along with it?

2. Various configurations including RAID

3. Licenses installed on the ESXi host?

4. Any other configurations?

Thanks and regards,

Libin Benedict

2 Replies 2

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I don't know for sure what gets wiped when you do a reset settings in CIMC, but I can guess that it will not be vmware specific settings. I.e., #1 and #3 are invalid questions, because CIMC cannot "reconfigure" ESXi. More than likely, if you reset CIMC, it will just reset CIMC only. Bare in mind that CIMC is not even necessary or required to run the system, so resetting it will likely not really do anything.

If you are trying to wipe the system clean, you'll need to use some tool to erase the drives, else a drive recover process/tool would still be able to read the data. At least, I'm told, I've never actually done that myself.

If you are trying to simply repurpose the server, just install the new OS and continue on from there. It will format the hard drives and start over.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To white clean the ESXi and VMs, go to RAID utility on the server and format the drives.