Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BE6K FAILOVER TEST

Hi Gents,

I am looking for experience help here...

I have two BE6Ks with VMware Hypervisor on top of which CUCM, UCCX, UNITY,EXPRESSWAY are running. Each server is in a different City and have been configured in PUB/SUB and currently fully working.

The problem that I am facing is the C220-M3 model is end of the life; therefore, I am working with Business for replacement.

In the meantime, I need to make sure if hardware failure occurs, business is not impacted or has limited impact at least.

My plan is to do a FULL failover test. That's where I am looking for experience, if you had done this in the past, please advise.

Nonetheless, my plan is to proceed in two stages:

1. Start by shutdown the interface connect to the server. So no network connection and watch if the phones register with the pub will fallback to SUB server. And UCCX calls routing is not interrupted as well.

2. Second full power down the PUB BE6k. Again observe the behavior.

Advice, suggestion are welcome.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi there
Yes, UCS C220-M3 is EOL/EOS and the last day of HW support is December 31, 2021 if you have an active contract. The replacement product is Cisco UCS C220 M4
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c220-m4-rack-server/index.html
Couple of things here

1. Server Redundancy
2. Application Redundancy
For Server redundancy, make sure your routing configurations are in place for both servers. Your UCS servers connections to your core/data network. You can start by disconnecting the server which caters Secondary (Phones Registered Server) and observe the failback to Primary.
For Application redundancy, since you have 2 X UCS, I assume you have distributed your Primary and Subscriber servers across these 2 servers. Like Primary in UCS 1 and Secondary in UCS 2. This should be good for application redundancy testing as the first thing in place. Make sure your CM Groups/Trunks/Unity Telephony Servers/UCCX CTI configs all has the required information for both primary and secondary servers. For Unity, make sure the Voicemail ports (SCCP only) are registered across CUCM Pub and Sub, same the case for UCCX.
Before doing any Failover tests, Login to CIMC, ESXi and make sure servers are happy with no alerts. Run DB replication in all applications and make sure all the servers are in sync and talking to each other in the cluster . Get an updated error free backup/required installation media kits as well, just in case.

Hope this Helps
Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: