cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice for configuring Caller ID - Main office Number and Direct User Number

juliancas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to design the call routing for 1000 users where 90% of them do not have Direct Number, they just have 5 digits extension which can not change. The other 10% have direct number which in a handful of cases the last 5 digits is different from their actual DN. I have a couple of questions and please let me know your thoughts based on your experience.

1. Should I use External Phone number Mask field to setup the caller ID, user by user? or

2. Is it not better to create another CSS like Location_User-CLID-std  and in device CSS assign that search space for users who want to provide their caller ID direct number and apply this globally? and

3. Suppose some time in future, I am asked to go and update every user so the they will not be able to display their caller ID, which of the previous scenarios  is the less administrative burden to apply that change?

Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would recommend using the external phone number mask. Use Bulk Administration > Phones > Add/Update Lines > Update Lines to update all masks to the main caller ID to cover the 90%. Then you can use the same tool to update the ones that have matching extensions to 111222XXXX. Then update the remaining phones individually. You can use the same steps if asked to change caller ID in the future.

Brandon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would recommend using the external phone number mask. Use Bulk Administration > Phones > Add/Update Lines > Update Lines to update all masks to the main caller ID to cover the 90%. Then you can use the same tool to update the ones that have matching extensions to 111222XXXX. Then update the remaining phones individually. You can use the same steps if asked to change caller ID in the future.

Brandon

BAT makes changing External Phone Number mask very quick and simple , even more if you have batches of phones all getting the same mask..