cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blackberry mvs with cucm

alialjamri2008
Level 1
Level 1

I don't understand how mvs server establish connection to the mvs client, is service provider involed, i.e. is it normal call from the callmanager to Blackberry client?

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/34950/PF_BBMVS_make_external_call_from_BB_device_1270129_11.jsp

Appreciat your help.

Thanks,

Ali

3 Replies 3

mjordy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ali,

The MVS server establishes connection to the MVS client via the IP path - either 802.11 WLAN or mobile provide data.  So whether the service provider network is involved or not depends on the location of the BlackBerry device and the type of calling that's been enabled for the user.

With the MVS solution it's important to remember the following:

1. Enterprise call types

Single number reach - a call received by the user's enterprise number is extended to the user's BlackBerry device.  Depending on the server and client settings this call may be delivered to the client device via the cellular network or via VoIP over the IP network (802.11 or mobile data).

Enterprise dialing  - a call originated by the user from the BlackBerry is made through the enterprise network using the enterprise number.  Depending on the server and client setting this call may be signaled by IP or via the cellular voice network and call media may be via IP (802.11 or mobile data) or via cellular voice.

2.  Unified Communications Manager role

With the BlackBerry MVS solution, Unified Communications Manager provides two main functions: MVS client device configuration and registration and MVS call routing.  BlackBerry MVS client devices connect to the BlackBerry MVS server which proxy registers the client to Unified Communications Manager via SIP signaling.  This enables visibility of the client status to Unified Communications Manager and integrates the device with enterprise dial plan - user's enterprise number, classes of restriction, etc..  BlackBerry MVS and Unified Communications Manager servers exchange inbound and outbound call information via SIP signaling with Unified Communications Manager handling all call routing both to internal enterprise extensions as well as PSTN and mobile voice network numbers including the BlackBerry device.  Note there is no requirement for Remote Destination Profile or Remote Destination configuration within Unified Communications Manager.  MVS handles all the enterprise to mobile number mapping.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Jordy

Response Signature

Thanks Jordy for your replay and helpful information.

Unfortunatly about one month and half I am looking to obtain this software from Blackberry sales and local partener, but with no clear answer from them. Appreciate if you could help and guide me to obtain this product?

Thanks,

Ali

Hi Ali,

You can probably download most if not all of the required BlackBerry side software (BES server, MVS server, MVS client) from the BlackBerry website and test for an evaluation period.  However, this may not be an option in all cases or available in all geographic locations.  Further, to sucessfully evaluate the product, you'll want to ensure you've implemented properly and as such downloading software from BlackBerry and doing this yourself without some guidance from BlackBerry may be problematic. 

Ultimately, your best bet will be to work with your local BlackBerry account team or partner integrator/reseller to obtain software and evaluation licenses.  Sounds like you are having trouble engaging with them.  If you would please email me offline (mjordy@cisco.com) with the requested information below, I can try and track this down and ensure your local account team/partner are able to assist you or find someone that can.

• Deployment geographic location
  • Name of your local Cisco account team representative(s) - Account Manager and account Systems Engineer (SE) or Consulting Systems Engineer (CSE)
  • Name of your local BlackBerry account team representative(s)
  • Name of the local partner and partner account representative(s)

Thanks,

Jordy

Response Signature