cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Block Inbound Calls

d.hillman
Level 1
Level 1

Most of us are probably aware of the limited ability, via H323 gateways and translation rules, to block inbound calls from the PSTN.

Two questions:

1.) Is there another method I may not be aware of?

2.) I was reading about External Call Control Profiles this morning and it seems like a logical fit.  Anyone experimented with this?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_0_1/ccmfeat/fsextcallctrl.html

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That sounds like a fundamental change to core call processing which seems excessive just to address blocked calls.  You are off-loading the call routing function to another device for all calls.  That's a big step.

If you are running into the 15 rule limit on translation patterns, there is a TCL script that allows up to 100 numbers to be blocked or redirected.  It's over at developer.cisco.com under TCL scripting.  It's called ANI Filtering.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

gmatroni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is great Doc from CCO that outline Voice Translation Profiles and has examples of

various situations. Letting the GW handle it to me seems most straight forward if its H323 GW

Why make CUCM have to even deal with it?

Has example for blocking ext

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a00803f818a.shtml

HTH, if it does not answer what your after pls give me some more details on what you want to accomplishand I will see if I can help

George

I'm familiar with the use of translation profiles and rules as I highlighted in the original post.  My question is a bit theoretical and exploration.

I'm looking to see if there are alternatives to using translation profiles as translation rules are limited to only 15 entries so they don't scale super well.  Some customers have deployed MGCP gateways vs. H323 and thus don't have a solution other than to convert.  Would this new CUCM feature fit the bill?

Thanks for the feedback.

That sounds like a fundamental change to core call processing which seems excessive just to address blocked calls.  You are off-loading the call routing function to another device for all calls.  That's a big step.

If you are running into the 15 rule limit on translation patterns, there is a TCL script that allows up to 100 numbers to be blocked or redirected.  It's over at developer.cisco.com under TCL scripting.  It's called ANI Filtering.

The ANI TCL script was a new one to me.  Rated +5

It looks like the offload isn't for the whole system but can be tied to an individual translation pattern.  So in essence selectively allowing for external logic to dictate call control.  Seems like there could be some pretty powerful uses.  I'm just searching for those applicable applications of the technology.

FYI, the script has been modified to allow up to 1000 caller-ids.  Putting that one in my pocket for future use. 

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: