cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Building CME with SIP vs. SCCP Phones

jameskuder
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have 4 CME Systems with SCCP phones. Recently, it was discuss by our upper management to start using SIP phones. Right now the system I have configured are using a PRI for dialtone with POTS lines for backup. What needs to different on the config to use SIP? Do I replace the 'telephony-service' and current 'dial-peers' or add to them?

This is all new to me and I still have not been able to attend any formal training.

Would there ever be a reason to use SIP and SCCP phones on the same system and would that even work?

Any help is appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aha.... that's a different question.

The choice of your trunking protocol (PRI versus SIP versus something else like FXO/analogue) is largely independent of the protocol the handsets use. You can use SCCP for your handsets and then use SIP trunking into a provider for your external calls. The CME Router will handle the signalling translation between SCCP and SIP for you.

Like everyone else here, I would always use SCCP for the handsets. Whilst Cisco are improving SIP handset features all the time between releases you still can't do everything you that you can do with SCCP. You would also need version 15 to support some of the more useful SIP handset stuff including Extension Mobility, and my own personal view of the code quality on the version 15 trains would use such language that it can't be mentioned here.

SCCP to the handset and trunking over SIP is perfectly valid and I've used it many times with great success.

Hope this helps. Barry

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

SIP phones, especially third party, do not work well with CME as SCCP phones do. They suffer of many bugs and limitations.

If you want a solid, powerful system, use SCCP phones only, no matter what management thinks.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey James,

If there is anyone's opinion I would trust when it comes to CME it's Paolos. (+5 my friend!)

Why does upper management care about SCCP vs SIP protocols anyways It drives me nuts

when people who know nothing about Voice try to jump in and tell us what's best. Then they

bail on you when the #@!t hits the fan! Hahahahahaha!

Stick with SCCP if you can!

Cheers!

Huff

It is being pushed as cost savings from the carrier vs being 'overtrunked' on a PRI. The CIO hears cost savings and then he likes the idea. You know how that goes...

Any other words of wisdom?

Aha.... that's a different question.

The choice of your trunking protocol (PRI versus SIP versus something else like FXO/analogue) is largely independent of the protocol the handsets use. You can use SCCP for your handsets and then use SIP trunking into a provider for your external calls. The CME Router will handle the signalling translation between SCCP and SIP for you.

Like everyone else here, I would always use SCCP for the handsets. Whilst Cisco are improving SIP handset features all the time between releases you still can't do everything you that you can do with SCCP. You would also need version 15 to support some of the more useful SIP handset stuff including Extension Mobility, and my own personal view of the code quality on the version 15 trains would use such language that it can't be mentioned here.

SCCP to the handset and trunking over SIP is perfectly valid and I've used it many times with great success.

Hope this helps. Barry

Barry has it and I've rated his post.

However, 15.0M is stable and works good for me.

Thanks guys. Going back to my original question. If I am configuring CME for SCCP phones using SIP trunking, what do I need to configuration differently for dial peers, telephony-service, etc.. vs. when I am using just FXO lines and PRI?

jameskuder
Level 1
Level 1

These would only be Cisco Phones. What do you mean by limitations?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

The doc has some great tips

Cisco CallManager Express (CME) SIP Trunking Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_example09186a00808f9666.shtml

Cheers!

Rob

Hi all,

I have a question : What are the features that are not supported by the SIP actually (CME 8.6)?

All configuration I've found have always the telephony-service command, and there are still SCCP phones in all labs.

Can the command 'voice-register global ' goes alone without the telephony service?

Or do we always need the telephony-service for pbx features?

Regards,

Antra

This thread is about CME, not CM.

Hi,

What is the command to get the information on maximum number of licenses supported for SIP and SCCP in CME?

inshu.inshu wrote:

Hi,

What is the command to get the information on maximum number of licenses supported for SIP and SCCP in CME?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme90spc.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: