cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call handler clarification please!?

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

I was talking to a friend who's pretty into cisco unity connection and he told me this ... I can configure a call handler that will take a message and then broadcast that message to a dist list (fair enough and it works) but also after that try to call a number or several numbers and will leave the VM message in their mail boxes. After which when a person picks up the VM Unity will then erase the VM from the remaining mailboxes that didn't pick up the message.

How this fits in is this ..

I have a group of people (4) and I would like our help desk to call a number and leave a message. I would then like Unity to broadcast out an email to the 4 people, then (or before I don't really care about the order of it) try to call all 4 people and leave them the voicemail message. Once the designated person has picked up the VM it would then erase it from the rest of the peoples VM and voila a half decent solution is born instead of carrying around this rediculous pager we have to carry around.

I know this might not work completely as described above, or maybe it does I'm not sure but I really need some help understanding the flow and config steps ...

Thanks,

BR

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brent,

Your friend is most correct This is called Dispatch Messaging in Unity Connection;

Dispatch Messages

You can use the dispatch message feature to send a message to a  distribution list (from either a call handler or interview handler). The  message is configured such that only one user in the group needs to act  on the message. When listening to a dispatch message, users are given  the option to accept, postpone, or decline the message.

Dispatch messages are handled as follows:

If  a user chooses to accept the message, all other copies of the message  are removed from the mailboxes of the other members of the distribution  list, regardless of whether the other users have listened to and  postponed the message.

If  a user chooses to postpone the message, it remains as an unread message  in the mailbox of that user and in the mailboxes of the other members  of the distribution list.

If  the user chooses to decline the message, it is removed from the mailbox  of that user, but copies of the message remain as unread in the  mailboxes of the other members of the distribution list.

If  there is only one copy of the dispatch message remaining, and no user  has yet chosen to accept the message, the final user whose mailbox it is  in must accept it. That user is not given the option to decline the  message.

Dispatch messaging is useful in situations where a team is available to  respond to issues, but only one member of the team needs to respond. For  example, an IT department may want to set up a call handler to take  messages from employees who need assistance, and then send the messages  as dispatch messages to a distribution list comprised of IT department  staff. All of the members of the distribution list receive a copy of  each message. Team members can then decide whether to accept or decline a  message; declined messages are then picked up by other team members.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag170.html#Dispatch_Messages

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Hey Rob,

Yeah so far I have it delivering an email message and VM message but I can't seem to find the section where I configure how it calls out to the a group of numbers. I need it to actually call the people because a VM or an email about a VM might not wake people up in the middle of the night .. of course I only need it to call the actual person designated "on call" so if I can only configure one number I'll live but ideally I'd like to be able to input several numbers for it to call.

Is that possible? I might have missed the part of the doc that outlines that.

The call-out piece is independant of the dispatch distribution list. This is called Message Notification and is configured individually on each mailbox; the user can even turn it on/off when they are on call.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user/guide/assistant/8xcucugasst_chapter9.html