Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager for 5k

Lucas Castro
Level 1
Level 1

Morning Guys,

I have a client with currently 3000 users, using both analog and ip phones, i need to deploy new call manager for 5k users, what is the best and cheapest server option to achieve this?

I've being searching and i found UCS B200 M3, or MCS7845-H1, am i on the right path?

thanks

Lucas

15 Replies 15

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

5k is a dead product suggest you start moving to 6k

5k is already eol product

Thanks

Srini

H Srini,.. sorry if i said it wrong, I believe you misunderstood, i meant i need to deploy a call manager server that supports 5000 users

durlabh4u
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lucas,

There are two ways you can achieve this target;-

• VM
  • MCS

Let me talk the both possible option with you.

• Virtual Server: You can purchase the UCS from Cisco Model : UCS-C210M2-VCD2 On this, you can install 4 Server( CUCM/UC etc), then you do not need to purchase anything. Even this is bit costly but this it is multipurpose.

• MCS: MCS7825I5-K9-CMD3A for version 8.6 CUCM & MCS7825I5-K9-CME1 for version 9.0 CUCM, will cost you less. Else for higher servers you can go with 2 servers ( for PUB and SUB) of MCS7835I3-K9-CME1.

Both are application version you only need to purchase the User Licenses for this.Presently, Cisco not sell HP products thus in case you are intersted then please google it. Hope your resolve your query & you are able to design the network.

Regards

Shimir.Srivastava

Hi Shimir,

so you are positive mcs is the cheapest and it will support 5000 users?

thank you again

Presently, Cisco sell devices in 2 types only in terms of CUCM.

1.       VM ( Very higher capacity and expensive)

2.       MCS( Normal cost)

The support capacity for the MCS servers are  as mention below;-

The MCS 7825 is supported for 1000 users per server.

The MCS 7835 is supported for 2500 users per server.

Now, You need to check the budget of your Customer based on that you need to make the decision & design.

thank you Shimir

I guess instead of getting 2 MCS 7835, i will go with 1 of MCS 7845, that supports 7500 users

regards

Lucas

No thats a bad idea. You dont buy 1 7845 and call it a day. Thats just bad design. Every time you have >1250 phones you need a dedicated TFTP. Again follow the link I have below for sizing. You will see as you scale larger UCS is way better

Srini

In case I am was there in place of you then I have selected UCS(VM) for my Call Manger due to multiple reasons:

1.       Multiple Images can be installed or supported.( Future possibility of expansion always exists)

2.       Technology move( As per some Cisco will not support MCS for version 10 release) & All environment Is moving to virtual world.

3.       Easy to manage & require less space in comparison to Multiple UCS.

4.       Etc.

Now,  there are some disadvantages also:

1.       If you are running all in same UCS then backup or 1:1 redundancy is not possible till the time you purchase the another h/w

But you mentioned in your mail that you only need the cheap option for 5k Users, then MCS can be one of them but you need to work for 1:1 redundancy  at least to give best result to your network.

So instead of going to MCS 7845 go with MCS 7835.( In case customer do not ready to spend more and agree to stay till 9 version only).

But here I can only suggest what you can do and what not but decision need to come from your(being designer) and Customer who is going to spend money on it.

Cheap doesnt mean right option how do you propose to have PUB/SUB with single MCS. You then at least need two. Then what about dedicated TFTP? Now you are at 3 at least, then let's do redundancy. If your customer is going to haver 5k phones I doubt he is willing to put all his eggs in one basket. So now you add up all that even with a 7835 and you will see the cost isnt going to be better than UCS whereas with 2 UCS you cna handle the load. The SKU you have is really old and the newer SKU are a bit cheaper not to mention other programs that give higher discounts to UCS. In short you are flushing the customers money down the drain with MCS IMHO

Srini

I ended up getting the N20-B6625-1-UPG (UCS B200 M2 Blade Server) following recommendations from 7.5k users reference from
http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/OVA_Template_Details_for_Unified_CM_Release_9.0

What software (os) and licenses would you suggest me to get, to be able to run call manager server only

tks

Lucas

A B series blade requires a chassis enclosure, fabric extender, Nexus switching, SAN. So unless you have all of those investing in just blade for 1 app wil probably not be a good ROI.

VMware requirements are here. You can use FND or higher depending on your requirements.

Rest of the UC apps is through UCL or CUWL

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMWare_Requirements

Srini

Hi Lucas,

Please choose version 9.0 which is available in the new proposed tool by Cisco & its very easy to order.

name of tool is :

You need to order UCS( VM) licenses and s/w. Also based on the users you need to order USER, Contracts/ part code.

Al the best

All of this is called out in the ordering guides as far as UC application ordering is concerned.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/technology/ipc/uc_tech_readiness.html#~7

Thanks

Srini

Not sure you can make a blanket statement that UCS is expensive. First of all investing in MCS is a bad idea. Cisco is not going to support any installs that arent virtualized from 10, the same will also apply retroactively for 8/9 to add nodes etc. Hence looking at virtual is better. The SKU quoted above is an old SKU everything now is M3 servers. There are new EZ bundles to chose from for M3.

This is covered here

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/UC_Virtualization_Supported_Hardware

Assmuning 5k phones you will be looking at 1 PUB, 2 TFTP, 2 SUB assuming 1:1 redundancy. Run your scenario at tools.cisco/cucst. In such scenarios no way is MCS going to be a good idea but you can virtualize on UCS. Also the 4 limit is wrong, you can virtualize more that that if you have v CPU available. As an example a 2500 OVA template takes 1 vCPU and not 2 v CPU like a 7500 OVA template. As you start looking at Uconn, UCCX/CUP UCS becomes way more better plus lookin long term a wise decision for the customer

Finally under spec based HP/IBM are supported if you follow the specs on the docwiki

Srini

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: