cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't access BE6k/ESXi from same VLAN

Philip Denton
Level 1
Level 1

In order to upload ISOs to my VMWare host I usually traverse a 100Mb switch and an ASA5505.  This is painfully slow so I figured that temporarily putting my laptop in the same VLAN/subnet as my VMWare hosts would speed things up since my core switch is 1Gb.

Unfortunately this is only half true.  From the same VLAN/subnet I can't access my BE6k at all.  No ping, SSH, web, or vSphere.  I can upload a 2.5Gb ISO to my first UCS host (of Windows guests) in about 75 seconds.  I can also access it via vSphere and web.

Is there some funky network or security setting that is barring direct network access to my BE6k?  I can access it via every method when I do it through my firewall but nothing works from the same subnet.  I feel like I'm missing something here but the fact that two VMWare boxes with almost identical versions of ESXi running are behaving differently I am led to believe there's a setting in Cisco's stock ESX config that's different.

Any ideas?  TLDR:  Two VMWare hosts in the same VLAN/subnet.  I can reach one but not the other when I put my laptop in the same VLAN.  Both are reachable when traversing the firewall.

2 Replies 2

Xavier McKinzie
Level 1
Level 1

You may want to check your IP, Subnet, Gateway, and VLAN settings using a VGA monitor and USB keyboard.

Good thinking.  I'll check it out tomorrow.  Everything is /24 for simplicity's sake but maybe I fat-fingered something.