cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ccmcip - cup/cupc

mikeduffy13
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone explain exactly what the CCMCIP service is used for and how it directly relates to CUP/CUPC?  I'm finding it hard to come up with an answer.

3 Replies 3

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

CCMCIP stands for "Cisco CallManager Cisco Ip Phone service".  This is a service running on Cisco CallManager (CUCM) servers.  This service provides a HTTP interface for external applications (such as Cisco Phone Designer, Cisco Click2Call widget, etc.) to retrieve phone configuration from CUCM.

CUPC 8 use a new architecture called CSF (Common Service Framework).  CSF provides a common library for different Cisco applications such as CUCIMOC, CUPC 8, etc.  CSF is like the building blocks for Unified Communication applications.  So applications can use those building blocks for different features without building everything from scratch.

Different applications has different ways to work.  For example, CUCIMOC does not require a CUPS server.  Because of that, CUCIMOC needs to retrieve phone configuration from CUCM.  So it'll use CCMCIP service (via CSF).  In contrast, CUPC requires a CUPS server.  CUPS server synchronize all configuration from CUCM.  Technically speaking, CUPC can retrieve phone configuration from CUPS (that's the way CUPC 7 and prior versions did).  CUPC 8 was the first CUPC version that utilize CSF.  To save some development time, they decided to mimic the behavior of CUCIMOC to retrieve phone configuration from CUCM.  This introduced additional complexity in configuration (which indeed not necessary).

While I was working for Cisco, I suggested developers to eliminate the dependency of CCMCIP and use CUPS for configuration retrieval (which is the good old ways of CUPC 7).  They verbally agreed.  But I don't know if it'll actually happen since I no longer work for Cisco.

Hope this helps!

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Thanks for the explanation Michael.

So hypothetically if I'm running CUPC 8 with a CUPS server, why would I ever need CCMCIP service/profile?  Assuming there aren't any other applications that need to pull phone configuration files outside of CUPC.

The short answer is - someone was lazy.  He just reused existing code from CUCIMOC without fine-tuning it for CUPC.

The long answer is - CSF talks to CCMCIP to retrieve a list of devices that were associated to the end user.  Then it'll pick the device with device type = "CUCSF" and use it as CUPC soft phone device.  This whole process could be done via SOAP interface on CUPS without involving CCMCIP at all.  Hopefully they'll do that in the next version of CUPC.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com