cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9900 IP Phone Feature Questions:

tammmill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So I'm looking at the Data sheets for the 9900 series phones and wonder if you can answer a couple questions for me.

1) Looks like the phone can connect wirelessly instead of wired which is kind of cool, If you have the phone connected wirelessly, can you still use the PC port on the phone to connect a PC (i.e. use the phone to connect a PC that does not have a wireless NIC)?

2) Are there any limitations to the USB Headsets or should it work with "any" USB headset?

3) Am i correct in reading this is a SIP only phone and that it does not do SCCP Support?

4) Power is listed as 802.3af and 802.3at support.  Are there any limitations when using 802.3af instead of 802.3at? I am guessing the USB ports may require the Class 4 PoE?

5) It looks like these are just supported on Communications Manager 7.1(3) or later.  I assume they will work in SRST as well? if so what IOS version / SRST version would be required to support these phones (or does it matter?)

136 Replies 136

Laura Douglas
Level 6
Level 6

Hello,

Some great questions and I'm sure many visitors will be interested in the responses.

As a Cisco employee, you have access to internal resources as well where you can learn more ... I'll drop you an email with directions on how to access :-).

Laura

Cisco Collaboration Community Manager

kimcneil
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

And as Laura noted, thanks for the great questions. Responses to your questions are captured below:

1) Looks like the phone can connect wirelessly instead of wired which is kind of cool, If you have the phone connected wirelessly, can you still use the PC port on the phone to connect a PC (i.e. use the phone to connect a PC that does not have a wireless NIC)?

The 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi feature on the 9971 endpoint, when running in wireless mode, will disable the phone's network port (it will not be active). Thus, a collocated PC would require a wireless network adapter card to connect to the wireless network.

2) Are there any limitations to the USB Headsets or should it work with "any" USB headset?

You are encouraged to check with your preferred headset provider for models that they have tested with the IP Phone 8900 and 9900 Series of endpoints. Wired headsets are supported at time of FCS.

3) Am i correct in reading this is a SIP only phone and that SCCP is not supported?

That is correct.

4) Power is listed as 802.3af and 802.3at support.  Are there any limitations when using 802.3af instead of 802.3at? I am guessing the USB ports may require the Class 4 PoE?

If using 802.3af power and wish to take advantage of the Cisco Unified IP Color Key Expansion Module for expansion of line/feature appearances, then power cube 4 power supply (supporting the IP Phone) is required to support the module or modules (actual number of modules is phone model dependent). Also note that 802.3af supports up to 15.4W of power to a given device and the classification of the power consumption is static and cannot be renegotiated later on. The AT specification allows power consumption up to 25W PLUS the ability to change power consumption after the initial classification.

5) It looks like these are just supported on Communications Manager 7.1(3) or later.  I assume they will work in SRST as well? if so what IOS version / SRST version would be required to support these phones (or does it matter?)

Initial support is on Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Business Edition System Release 7.1(3) or later. SRST 7.1 IOS 12.4 (24)T) is the minimum release that will support the IP Phone 8900 and 9900 Series.

Trust this helps.

Kirk McNeill

Collaboration Solutions Marketing

Cisco Systems

what about support for the 9971/51 with UC500 and CME environments?

Thanks!

Hello Jarrod,

Thank you for the question regarding UC-500 and CME:

UPDATE March 30 2010: In contacting PM for the BU who owns UC-5xx servers, they do not show the 8900/9900 Series within their roadmap at this time. As such, at this time there are no plans for support.

Communications Manager Express with Integrated Services Router (ISR) as roadmap item for CY 2H 2010 still stands.

Trust this helps.

Kirk McNeill

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the info.  It has been a little while, is there any update on support for UC5XX?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hello, currently support for 9900 phones on the UC 500 is not on the short term roadmap; support for the 6900 phones on UC 500 is targeted for the fall timeframe.

Hi Kirk,

Regarding the 802.3af and 802.3at support on 9900 IP phone, does this means 9971 with camera will be able to be supported by a 802.3af switch port as well?

In addition, is there any Cisco switch support 802.3at at this moment?  Any roadmap for Cisco switch to support 802.3at?

Thanks & Regards,

Jessie

Hello Jessie,

Yes, the 9900 Series endpoints can support the Cisco Unified Video Camera, upon its availability, with Class 3 IEEE 802.3af. If one wants to add the IP Color Key Expansion Module, that would require purchase of the Power Cube 4 for local powering of both the Phone and Key Expansion Module.

The Catalyst 4500 Series supports the IEEE 802.3at standard and would support 8900 and 9900 Series endpoints. There is information on the 4500 Series on Cisco.com here:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/index.html

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Cisco Systems

Thanks Kirk,

In this case, can I say 9900 to support 802.3at is from the "green" or "power save" perspective with the ability to change power consumption rather than 9900 phone require more than 15.4W?

Best Regards,

Jessie

Jessie,

802.3at does allow you to reset after the initial classification unlike 802.3af, which is static, so one could consider it more "green" in that regard.

mmahannah
Level 1
Level 1

Is SRST support for 9971 also 2H 2010?

Hello,

SRST 7.1 IOS 12.4 (24)T) is the minimum release that will support the IP Phone 8900 and 9900 Series so upon FCS declaration of the 8900 and 9900 Series, there will be SRST support.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

What exactly is needed if I want to connect 3 expansion modules to a 9971 model phone. Do I need a footstand? Do I just need one power cube (CP-PWR-CUBE-4=).

Hello,

Thank you for your interest on the IP Color Key Expansion Module. To answer you, unless you are intending to wallmount the phone and expansion modules, you indeed would want footstands for each. The good news is that the footstand is part of the Key Expansion Module SKU so it comes supplied with that part number. There is no separate SKU/charge for the footstand.

As to power supplies, you are also correct presuming you are supporting 802.3af at your wiring closet. One power cube 4 would support the three expansion modules. If you support or plan to support 802.3at, this provides the power to support the expansion modules without need for the power cube.

Trust this helps..

Kirk McNeill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: