cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9900 IP Phone Feature Questions:

tammmill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So I'm looking at the Data sheets for the 9900 series phones and wonder if you can answer a couple questions for me.

1) Looks like the phone can connect wirelessly instead of wired which is kind of cool, If you have the phone connected wirelessly, can you still use the PC port on the phone to connect a PC (i.e. use the phone to connect a PC that does not have a wireless NIC)?

2) Are there any limitations to the USB Headsets or should it work with "any" USB headset?

3) Am i correct in reading this is a SIP only phone and that it does not do SCCP Support?

4) Power is listed as 802.3af and 802.3at support.  Are there any limitations when using 802.3af instead of 802.3at? I am guessing the USB ports may require the Class 4 PoE?

5) It looks like these are just supported on Communications Manager 7.1(3) or later.  I assume they will work in SRST as well? if so what IOS version / SRST version would be required to support these phones (or does it matter?)

136 Replies 136

Hi

I want to deploy 9951 in following scenario

Third party SIP video end point registered with CUCMBE 7.1.3 dials 9951 and I would like 9951(with camera) to receive the audio and video from third party SIP device and vice a versa.

Further when 9951 dials any other 79XX series SCCP phone in same network, would it require SIP dial rules or can work as a normal extension?

would appreciate your help in this matter, so that I can help customer to take proper decision in purchasing 9951

Thanks and Regards

Shruti

Hi,

9951 and 9971 can both send and receive (once the camera and devpack are available) audio and video from most SIP, H.323 and any SCCP device vith CUVA without modifying anything special.

Any SIP phone (Cisco or Third Party) works as a normal extension.

HTH

Hi Zak

Thanks alot for your reply. This clarifies it a bit but further even if I am sounding too stupid,

1. I had asked one of the other Cisco vendors here and they mentioned xml application would be necessary, is that what u mean by the devpack?

2. is CUVA a must necessity?

Thanks in advance

Shruti

Hello Shruti,

Good questions.

1) Devpack refers to devicepack and will enable video capabilities to be recognized on the 9900 Series device page. This is planned to be released on April 8th (per David Scott response earlier in this discussion thread) for both Cisco Unified Communications Manager releases 7.1(3) and 8.0.

2) CUVA refers to Cisco Unified Video Advantage, which enables selected IP Phone 7900 Series endpoints to take advantage of video services using the VT Camera III (mounts on your PC laptop or LCD) with the CUVA application performing the video encoding/decoding and presenting the local and far end video on the PC monitor. As it supports H.264 video standard, as does the Cisco Unified Video Camera for the 9900 Series endpoints, a video call could be held between both of them. You can find more information about the CUVA application, if of interest, here on cisco.com:

www.cisco.com/go/cuva

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Collaboration Solutions Marketing

Cisco Systems

Hi Kirk,

CP-CKEM-CORD= is still not avl in EMEA pricelist & also in the DCT/CCW. Is it orderable?

Regards,

Exchanged email with the product manager and he is working on this issue. I will reply to you privately so that you can contact him directly for more details on timing availability.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Hi Kim,

Can you please confirm if a 9971 connected to a 2960S supports 3 KEM without the need of an external power supply? I am asking this beacause on the field what we noticed was that the third KEM did not power on.

I also found this info which is not very clear:

"Power Information

The Cisco Unified IP Color Key Expansion Module for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 8961, 9951, and 9971 have the following power consumption and power scheme.

Power Consumption

48V DC, 5W per KEM

Power Scheme

•At least one KEM can be powered up if the Cisco Unified IP Phone 8961, 9951, and 9971 uses AT PoE.

•If the phone uses a power adapter, three KEMs can be powered up for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 9971, two KEMs can be powered up for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 9951, and one KEM can be powered up for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 8961.

•A KEM cannot be powered up if the Cisco Unified IP Phone 8961, 9951, and 9971 uses AF PoE."

Source: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/9971_9951_8961/8_5/english/admin_guide/9971kem.html#wp1086583

Regards,

Bruno Almeida

If you have AT power you cna support 3 KEM but the key is the camera on the phone. If you have the camera, you can only support 2 KEM with AT power. If you don't have the camera, then you can have 3 KEM. Of course if you have an external PS then you dont need to worry and you can support all 3 KEM with camera

Srini

Hi Srini,

Thank you for your feedback. However, the information that Lars Berggren gave me was that I need an external power supply to support 3 KEM with a 9971. From now on I will include an external power supply for configurations with more than one KEM, just in case.

Regards

That actually conflicts with this document that shows without the camera AT power should power 3 KEM. Granted I too in the past sold the PS to play it safe with 3 KEM even if I had AT power but this document shows what I mentioned in my post which is without the camera 3 KEM should work. With it only two can work on AT power. Even though the PDF is specifically targeted at VXC power, the first table is just the regular phones/KEM. The second table is specific to VXC 2100 and the last table is 2200.

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-23118

Thanks

Srini

Any luck with 9971 support on a uc520?  I just updated to the latest service pack and i did not see any 9971 loads.

Dear Sunil;

SW pack 8.3 has been delayed until end of March, due to a series of major issues discovered during the testing phase. We apologize for the inconvenience. Stay tuned.

Regards;

Alberto

April is here! Any update on the software release for the 9971 phone load?

Dear Erick;

We will be releasing the SW Pack early may. The release candidate SW is planned to be released next week. Stay tuned.

Regards;
Alberto

Questions regarding this:

- So the 9971 will be supported on UC500 Series Platform correct?

- In the new SW Pack, will SIP and SCCP be supported side by side in the same UC deployment?  If so, will there be any limitations between the two?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: