Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Call Manager Upgrade from Ver 5.1.3 to Ver 8.6

Amit Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

My organization have 4 Subscribers and 1 publisher between 4 different sites. version of all call manager are 5.1.3. all are running on HP Proliant server.

I looking to upgrade to Version 8.6. Do I need to upgrade server hardware as well for upgrading latest version of call manager or I can use my old server ?

Thanks

Amit Sharma

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Amit

According to the guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

You hardware (DL380-G4) is only supported to version 7.1(5). For version 8, it is only supported as a bridge server which means you can use it to upgrade your system so that it can be loaded onto a newer server however you can't run CUCM 8.x on it.

HTH. Barry

View solution in original post

I concur with Barry. Your HP server is Supported only for "bridged upgrade" to migrate to newer hardware. In a bridged upgrade, you upgrade to the specified Cisco Unified Communications Manager version, make a backup of your software configuration via the Disaster Recovery System utility, reinstall the Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on new hardware, and restore your software configuration from backup. This server is not supported for any other use with Cisco Unified Communications Manager other than this "bridged upgrade" procedure.

Pls rate the post if it helps.

GP.

BTW, are/were you working for Crowne Plaza in Ireland ? I knew one guy with same name from that org.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As the exact HP server model number is not provided, check if you can find your server model at following link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

If the server model is mentioned as supported under CUCM 8.6(x) , then you may continue using it else you would need new server.

GP.

Hi GP,

Thanks for your reply.

Please find below the hardware details of my old server. these details I get from Cisco call manager application.

Hardware Resources

Hardware platform type    7835H

The CPU type    Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.40GHz

Memory    2048 Mbytes

Detailed Report

Machine_Type = XXXX

Model_Number =

Serial_Number = GB8637LRFE     

Product_Name = ProLiant DL380 G4

BIOS_Version =

BIOS_Build_Level = P51

BIOS_Date = 04/26/2006

BIOS_Manufacturer = HP

BIOS_Language =

Number_Of_Enclosures =

Enclosure_Type.0 =

Processor_Slots = 2

Active_Processors = 1

Processor_Family.0 = Xeon

Processor_Speed_MHz.0 = 3400

Total_Enabled_Memory_Mb = 2048

ROM_Diagnostics_Build_Level =

Thanks

Amit

Hi Amit

According to the guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

You hardware (DL380-G4) is only supported to version 7.1(5). For version 8, it is only supported as a bridge server which means you can use it to upgrade your system so that it can be loaded onto a newer server however you can't run CUCM 8.x on it.

HTH. Barry

I concur with Barry. Your HP server is Supported only for "bridged upgrade" to migrate to newer hardware. In a bridged upgrade, you upgrade to the specified Cisco Unified Communications Manager version, make a backup of your software configuration via the Disaster Recovery System utility, reinstall the Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on new hardware, and restore your software configuration from backup. This server is not supported for any other use with Cisco Unified Communications Manager other than this "bridged upgrade" procedure.

GP.

BTW, are/were you working for Crowne Plaza in Ireland ? I knew one guy with same name from that org.

Hi Gajanan,

How are you, yes I am the same

Thanks for your reply. Where are you working these days. drop me an email at asharma@tifcohotels.ie.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,

Amit

Thanks Amit for the nice rating. Sent you a private message, check your inbox on this portal.

Good Luck.

GP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: