Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CUCM Setup for Lab Use - Essentials and Advice

Konnekt1911
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys!

I was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction or at least provide me with a little advice before I begin my journey.  I would like to start out by saying I am new to the Voice side of Cisco so please be patient...thanks!  Not to the problem at hand...I want to simply know what the essentials would be for setting up and deploying Cisco CUCM in a Lab Environment. I am acquiring a Server in the new future and would like to start prepping for all the necessary tasks I will face.  Some of the questions I have are:

- What specs should my Server have...I am looking at a Dell F1D which is a specially manufactured Server for Cloud Services...but again, what specs minimum would I need and what are the specs I would need for Optimum performance (Processors/RAM/HD Storage/RAID Controller/etc).

- Are there any licensing issues I need to think about acquiring for a Lab Setup?

-What versions CUCM are good for Lab use compared to what versions are currently being used for the Exams?  Also, what the latest stable release is per experience?

- Is it better to install on a standalone Server or Virtualized environment?

- Does CUCM perform better on a standalone box versus a Virtualized environment?

Thanks in advance guys, any feed back is much appreciated!!! 

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What specs and everything you need to know regarding UC virtualization, is here

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization

You'll need to spend some time reading thru that link

I strongly suggest you buy something along the lines of what is supported for a real environment, choosing other CPUs, can cause troubles and you'll spend more time trying to fix those (which you won't find in real life scenarios) than learning.

AFAIK  the only lab licensing is the NPR, and you need to be a partner to buy it

What versions?? Depends on what you want to learn, all you get in the exams is pretty much available in new releases.

Most 10.x+ releases are virtual only

The performance is the same on MCS or UCS

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for your prompt reply Jaime!  I forgot to mention, I do have a Cisco MCS-7845-I3-P V04 already that I acquired a while back.  It came with a version of UCM already installed but is locked out.  When you say you strongly suggest using something that is supported for a real environment, is this what your implying? 

When you say I need to be a Cisco Partner for the licensing aspect, what exactly does that entail?

With the above question in mind, do older versions require Cisco Partner status as well?

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: