Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Emergency Responder license ties to specifc phones

asherif82
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

One of our customers currently has 20 ER User licenses and they have around 50 IP Phones total. They want to tie only 20 IP Phones to be tracked by Cisco Emergency Responder and the other 30 IP Phones not to be tracked by CER so that they don't exceed the licenses limit. Is this possible and how can we achieve this?

Appreciate your help

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can achieve this by using IP Subnet Phone Tracking. In your case, you need two IP Subnets, one for 20 Phones which you want to track and one for 30 Phones which you do NOT want to track. Configure these IP Subnets in CER under ERL Membership > IP Subnets. 

• For IP Subnet that you want to track, do not select checkbox for "Do not track phones under this IP Subnet".
  • For IP Subnet that you do NOT want to track, select checkbox for "Do not track phones under this IP Subnet"

Do Not Track.png

With this configuration, CER will track only 20 IP Phones and will count for licensing. 

For your reference, here are screenshots of my licenses for CER:

Original license count with IP Subnet Tracking:

Licensing with Tracking.jpg

License count without IP Subnet Tracking: (For testing, I enabled DO NOT TRACK checkbox on one of my subnet)

Licensing without Tracking.jpg

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Because of the SNMP connection between CUCM and CER, CER will always know about all of the phones in CUCM. I don't know of a way to get around that.

You can have some automatically tracked and some not by setting up subnet or switchport tracking correctly. But if you are asking if there is a way for CER to only "see" the 20 phones you want tracked and not the others, I don't believe there is any way to do that.

Maren

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can achieve this by using IP Subnet Phone Tracking. In your case, you need two IP Subnets, one for 20 Phones which you want to track and one for 30 Phones which you do NOT want to track. Configure these IP Subnets in CER under ERL Membership > IP Subnets. 

• For IP Subnet that you want to track, do not select checkbox for "Do not track phones under this IP Subnet".
  • For IP Subnet that you do NOT want to track, select checkbox for "Do not track phones under this IP Subnet"

Do Not Track.png

With this configuration, CER will track only 20 IP Phones and will count for licensing. 

For your reference, here are screenshots of my licenses for CER:

Original license count with IP Subnet Tracking:

Licensing with Tracking.jpg

License count without IP Subnet Tracking: (For testing, I enabled DO NOT TRACK checkbox on one of my subnet)

Licensing without Tracking.jpg

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

I had forgotten about that checkbox. Thanks @Vaijanath Sonvane !

The only caveat to that is that you must be running CER v11 or later for your licensing concern to be addressed. In earlier versions phones discovered but not tracked because of this checkbox still increased your license count.

Maren

The checkbox has been around for a while. My comment was about licensing, since that was the original question. I have edited my response to be more clear.

Maren

Yes, this feature was added in version 10.0 or 10.5 if I recall and was added explicitly for this reason as for years customers who had a need for an e911 solution at only some locations requiring e911, yet CER required full licensing of all cluster phones, which was very unfortunate and expensive for some customers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: