cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber engine - Changes towards Webex Teams engine

ar_ts
Level 1
Level 1

I hope someone can help me with my question. I heard that the Cisco Jabber on premise engine is beeing replaced with the WebEx Teams engine. I know that you can switch towards the WebEx Teams engine, but we want to stay on premise with the engine. So does anybody know of a road map or if this rumor is actually true?

Thanks in advance.

BR Aris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi
Hopefully this will help. Customers now have lots of choice. If you want messaging and calling from on premise or cloud you can choose how and what you deploy. It depends on what features, functionality, regulatory and security considerations you have I suppose.
Both cloud and on premise family of messaging and calling solutions have a roadmap (v14 for on premise for example) and that can be shared by your account team with you.
There is no need for on premise messaging users with Jabber to move fully to a cloud based messaging if they don't want to. You can continue to run Jabber for messaging on premise (IM/P server) or you can run Jabber in Teams (Webex Cloud) messaging mode.
HTH
ashish

Response Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jabber in Teams Messaging mode is out of preview status (ie fully supported for production deployments) in 12.6 and works across all four supported OS platforms. Webex Teams messaging is only available as a cloud-delivered offering. While we cannot discuss roadmap details on the forums due to NDA requirements, Cisco has previously stated publicly that there were no plans to offer it on-premises. You can speak with your Cisco AM/SE about forward-looking plans but my advice is to embrace the cloud; it relieves you of a lot of operational burden.

https://youtu.be/p3LrdkFbdiA

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/12_5/Planning_Guide/cjab_b_planning-guide-for-cisco-jabber-125/cjab_b_planning-guide-for-cisco-jabber-125_chapter_011.html#id_90853

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/12_5/DIGCloud/cjab_b_cloud-hybrid-deploy-125/cjab_b_cloud-hybrid-deploy-125_chapter_010000.html

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply. So basically you can run your IM on premise with jabber or you can use the webex teams feature either using a hybrid scenario where you use your unified communications plattform on premise with webex teams cloud solutions or using a complete cloud scenario without the unified communications plattform.

Let me rephrase my question. Is there a need to switch to the hybrid scenario in order to aquire future updates (the IM on premise plattform will be deprecated) or is the Jabber (IM on premise) plattform still in a normal product lifecycle. Someone told me that there is a need to switch towards the webex teams IM engine (hybrid scenario) in order to still be able to use the Instant Messaging feature.  

Hi
Hopefully this will help. Customers now have lots of choice. If you want messaging and calling from on premise or cloud you can choose how and what you deploy. It depends on what features, functionality, regulatory and security considerations you have I suppose.
Both cloud and on premise family of messaging and calling solutions have a roadmap (v14 for on premise for example) and that can be shared by your account team with you.
There is no need for on premise messaging users with Jabber to move fully to a cloud based messaging if they don't want to. You can continue to run Jabber for messaging on premise (IM/P server) or you can run Jabber in Teams (Webex Cloud) messaging mode.
HTH
ashish

Response Signature