Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO JABBER - MULTIPLE UC CLUSTER

KRISHNA K V
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

One of my customer is having two CUCM cluster (Cluster A and Cluster B), two Presence cluster (Cluster A and Cluster B) and two Voicemail cluster.

Presence domain is example.com.

DNS domain is example.com.

All the UC Servers have the fqdn as servername.example.com. Both the clusters have the same internal DNS server. Both the clusters are not AD integrated. Each cluster is having its own end users.

Cisco Jabber is working fine for  Jabber users configured in Cluster A.  cisco_uds SRV record is pointed to the Cluster A CUCM Servers. 

Now i need to test the jabber functionality for Cluster B users. Cluster A and Cluster B has same presence domain.  

As per the cisco document ,

In an environment with multiple Cisco Unified Communications Manager clusters, we must configure the Intercluster Lookup Service (ILS). ILS enables the client to find the user's home cluster and discover services."

when the users in Cluster B login to Jabber using username@example.com the request will go to the Cluster A CUCM servers as per the srv record.  My question is  how does the request will be redirected to Cluster B CUCM Servers? what are the configuraton i am missing here to acheive the result. ?

Regards

Krishna. 

24 Replies 24

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming you have a proper ILS configuration up and running, that's all you need, the SRV will be sent to whatever cluster it's configured to, and if the user resides on another cluster, CUCM will redirect them to the right server.

I have a similar layout in my lab, and works just fine.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime, 

I have setup the ILS configuration. Under  the cluster view UDS is enabled but the Remote activated column states not applicable. This is the same in both the cluster. is this normal?

Regards

Krishna. 

Go to the Learned Directory URIs page, do you see the URIs from the other cluster??

If not, then your integration is not working.

HTH

java

Thanks for guiding me. I will check that. Since the cluster is not AD Integrated and IM addressing scheme is username@example.com the directory URI field is not populated in the end user page. is it requried ?

Krishna

HI Jaime

i would like to know how ILS will redirect an incoming registration request from Expressway Edge to another CUCM which was discovered through ILS if that request comes from a user who is not from that home cluster

I tried to find documentation about this however im not able to find a detailed documentation with diagrams of how a jabber registration request handled in Multicluster environment.

Ex; a user from Europe for whom jabber is configured in EU CUCM Visits USA . The USA DNS SRV in public dns route the request to Expressway edge in USA> Goes to USA CUCM > from here how does it happen? and VICE VERSA when i have expressway in EU as well. Only remote cluster config is enough to handle such multicluster discovery? or do we need ILS?

It will work the same way as it works internally for a user with Jabber, ILS will be required to be in place so that CUCM is aware of the users, and to which cluster they belong to, in order to redirect the request.

The difference is that for MRA, you'll also need to add the UC servers in EXP-C so the zone between EXP-C and the servers is created for the registration to work.

HTH

java

Thanks for the clarity Jaime, i have a doubt on this below statement

"The difference is that for MRA, you'll also need to add the UC servers in EXP-C so the zone between EXP-C and the servers is created for the registration to work."

For USA , i have built traversal between USA Exp-C and USA CUCM and in Europe i have done the same EU Exp-C to EU CUCM.. do i also need to have one more traversal in USA Exp-C to EU CUCM? Vice Versa?

Hi jaime

I just read the MRA guide and it says "You should configure only one  Unified Communications traversal zone per Expressway"

so my question isnt valid in previous post.. however i was wondering , proxy registration request coming in through USA Exp-C >> hits the USA CUCM >> USA CUCM forwrds request EU CUCM due to ILS discovery of directory URI >> After jabber register in EU CUCM does it show the IP of USA Exp-C

i think i did messed up reading the MRA guide at 4 am :-)

So let me understand this correctly.. in USA EXP-C i will need to add EU CUCM  under Unifed Communications Server. the zone will be only one UC Zone but i can add multiple UC servers into EXp-C

Been there, no worries.

Yes, 90% of the config, will be the same as if you're doing single site/single cluster.

Difference is you'll need to add the other UC cluster(s) to each EXP-C so that the neighbor zones that proxy the registration are created to each cluster. If you were doing other domains, then add the domains, update certificates, SRVs, etc.

Depending on the versions you use, you'll see the EXP-C IP for the registration, or the real IP of the endpoints.

HTH

java

Thanks once again.. at the moment the EU  user jabber collab-edge discovery is hitting USA EXP-E, lt me try adding the Eu CUCM servers in EXP-C of USA. its in the same domain. will keep you posted

Why don't you Geo DNS ? that would be a better option to avoid such stuff.

Also with this design there is significant delay for media traffic as the media traffic goes from EU to Exp-E is USA and then come back from there. From the technical point of view all will work but it might impact the user experience.

Agree, client doesnt have Geo DNS neither we could convince to get a solution on that

Jaime,

Since you have to add the PUB from each cluster to each Expressway-C, it leads me to these questions: Is ILS just used to find the user's home cluster and does not relay the actual registration request? Then now that Exp-C knows the user's home cluster it sends a registration request to that pub? The initial CUCM that receives the home cluster request is now out of the communication path?

The reason for these questions is that we have a customer who will need to open the firewalls source and destinations from each Expressway to these other clusters for registration, Source: Exp-C 25000-29999, Dest: CUCM 5060.

Thanks,

Ryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: