Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Mobile 8.1 while in background will unregister

Shaun Bender
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Running Cisco Mobile 8.1 on an iPod Touch running Apple iOS 4.2.1.

Once the application goes into "background" after about two, maybe three minutes, it becomes unregistered with CUCM.

(This behavior is the same while running the app on an iPhone 4.)

Is there a way to change that so it'll stay registered while in the background, maybe for an hour?

Once in the background and registered, call notifications are seen, otherwise, once unregistered, calls go directly to voicemail.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

jmunoz19
Level 4
Level 4

In my experience this happens when the iPhone/iPad locks the screen.  I think the OS shuts down the network connections to CUCM, causing the unregistration.  The only way I could keep this from happening when the device is idle is increasing the timeout.

benjaminwatt
Level 5
Level 5

If you haven't already, do have a look at the Allowing Cisco Mobile 8.1 to Run in the Background section of the Administration Guide. There is an extra step required for 8.1 for this to work reliably, certainly I've found it continues to run in the background really well on my iPhone running OS 4.2.1.

The release notes mention that specific versions of CUCM are required for Mobile 8.1, but we run a slightly earlier 8.0 release than that listed and it works fine.

@ jmunoz19  ... I currently have the device "always on" ... General -> Auto-Lock -> Never

@ Ben ... Yeah, that's the first thing I checked out, those three settings the Doc mentions under the SIP Profile, I even played around with a few different values, no luck.

I'm running CUCM: 7.1.5.31900-3

I wonder if there is some type of "other" timeout for SIP connections. Or just maybe how our version of CUCM handles the App??

I just upgraded to:

8.5.1.10000-26

And the "background" issue appears resolved.

Thanks.

Sidenote:

Just noticed in the:

Cisco Mobile 8.1 for iPhone Deployment Guide

Our version of CUCM was not supported for Multitasking anyways.

Found this:

7.1(5)

Supported

7.1.5 (SU required, see release notes for details)

from the Deployment Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps7271/deployment_guide_c07-641141.html

What is SU?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: