Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Phone Designer in Windows 7 won't start

allan.mancera
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all:

I've been working with CUCM for a while now, but I just downloaded the Cisco Phone Designer in my laptop to see how it works, and it turns out it won't start at all in my laptop. The message it show says "Phone Designer has encountered an issue that requires the application to be closed, if the problem persists, please contact your administrator", and a list of possible problems that I could have.

I've read the installation guide, and tried the workaround for Vista and XP that is documented there (about the "Format" in the Region and Languajes option in windows) and it didn't work.

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) with 4GB in RAM.

I've attached an image of the error, hope this gives you more information.

Thank you for your time and attention

Allan Mancera

23 Replies 23

Does Cisco have any plans to update this application for 64-bit support? Seems like Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit has been moving into the OS of choice (even in large organizations) for the last few years.

Zack

Thank you Imthiyas, worked for me!

You made my day ;-)

Imthiyas,

Your solution worked perfectly for me as I have just upgraded my company laptop to Win 7.  One caveat: if you cannot use the Run window due to policy restriction,, open the command prompt by right clicking and selecting , "Run as administrator".  I am disappointed that Cisco hasn't addressed this.

Regards,

Nelson

Thank you for sharing it worked! Now if I could only find something for the IP phone Address Book Sychronizer I was hoping that one run too but it didnt. 

Thank you Imthiyas!  I couldn't get it work any other way but your workaround worked perfectly!

Dear

Please rate, if it really helps you

thanks

I did rated on your original post.

k6lw
Level 4
Level 4

I had designer working when I first received my Win 7 64 machine. I got it to work using

the Ldr64.exe SetWow command as an administrator at a command prompt.

HOWEVER

there have been numerous "patches" to WIN 7 issued in the mean time, and Phone designer is no longer working.

It won't even launch.

If attempt to run it from Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC, it stll won't launch. Throws a "Phone Designer has encountered a problem".

I downloaded 7.1(3)SR2 which is working in the XP virtual mode. It also is talking again to the CMs. I used the software to generate a bunch of background images for our 7962 sets and then uploaded the generated images to the TFTP servers so that others could access them via the phones. It's a shame the software doesn't operate natively in Win 7 / 8 so that the "less technical" users could access the software.

CISCO, Please spend some time and correct these issues. At the very least the program should run "NATIVELY" in Win 7 32 AND 64 and should also work in Win 8.  Really make everyone happy and create versions for Linux, Android,  iOS, and Win RT.

Edmar Carvalho
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Allan,

try this 

Getting Cisco Phone Designer working on x64 Windows 7

Have to give credit to the guys on the cisco forums for this tip.  Cisco Phone designer doesn't support x64 Windows 7.  To get it to run:
  • Open up command prompt as administrator and type this command:
    • C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Ldr64.exe SetWoW
  • Now you should be able to run apps that use only the .NET 32 bit CLR

• To revert back to the default 64 bit framework run
    • C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Ldr64.exe Set64

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: