Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UC upgrade 9.1.2 to 11.5 licensing

MrStinch01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need some guidance on licensing for upgrading 3 CUCM cluster using one ELM, each with Unity Connection and IM&P Servers. The plan is to move from 9.1.2 to 11.5. I plan to upgrade the ELM to PLM 11.5 which will keep the existing licensing and current 9.1.2 environment working as it currently is; at least that is my understanding from reading the documentation. Then I get the problem of upgrading the actual UC servers. I plan to do Unity connection first for one region. If all goes well do the other regions Unity Connection servers different weeks. Then at some point later upgrade one regions  Callmangers and IM&P servers. Then on another weekend do the other 2 regions, probably on different weekends. So it could take 2-3 months. But our licensing is spread across CUWL, Enhanced and Enhanced Plus 9.x.  So I presume I need to upgrade these licenses to version 11.x first? Is there any way to tell if I am entitled to do this for free? Once upgraded to version 11.x licenses will the Unity Connections and Callmanager server running 9.x work with these 11.x licenses giving the time I would like to carefully upgrade the 3 clusters that use the one ELM/PLM server?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If you are getting 2247 , then, that is the quantity u are entitled meaning that u will be getting licenses for these many users only. You cannot get breakup of CUWL /Enhanced while placing the order through PUT.

Secondly, the snapshot shows Installed count as more which means u need to buy more licenses or u might be having other contract covering the balance users.

You can either upgrade the call manager first or place the order prior to upgrade provided the count of users CUWL/Enhanced Plus/Basic is correct.

you need to place separate order for Unity Connection.

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Licenses are not free. You need to have valid SWSS contract for all applications prior to doing any upgrades so that u can place the order through PUT[Product Upgrade Tool] and get the desired licenses for 11.x through physical or e-delivery.

If u do the upgrade then, u would get 60 days  grace period so that u can upload the permanent licenses.

regds,

aman

So if I go through PUT will it be obvious if all the licenses are under SWSS and can be upgraded?

If I understand correctly I will then have 60 days to upgrade all my clusters; as version 9.x server will not be able to use the upgraded version 11.x licenses.

Hi,

Yes, u are correct. You get 60 days grace period so that u can get 11.x licenses.

When u place order through upgrade through below link, u will get the option showing number of eligible orderable quantity under that contract as attached.

http://upgrad.cloudapps.cisco.com/upgrad/jsp/index.jsp

regds,

aman

Attached is our current ELM licensing. I can find the product number as per your screen shot and our shows an orderable quantity of 2247 rather than the 1220 yours shows. The ordering notes clearly state "Please order quantity 1. Utilize Prime License Manager (PLM) for licensing." Is the 2247 my upgradable licenses? If so which ones are getting upgraded and why the comment place order quantity 1?

So do I put 1 in the quantity for PUT?

The following seems to cover the PLM part where I can enter the contract number but not the quantity, no mention of PUT as far as I can see.  

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/cloud-systems-management/prime-license-manager-105/118836-configure-cucm-00.html

Do I need to upgrade CallManager first for PLM to work out the quantity or is it going to try and do all the licenses?  Also confused what happens with the CUWL licenses that covers both Callmanager and Unity Connection. Is that going to force me to upgrade both in the grace period and then upgrade the licenses.

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Hi,

If you are getting 2247 , then, that is the quantity u are entitled meaning that u will be getting licenses for these many users only. You cannot get breakup of CUWL /Enhanced while placing the order through PUT.

Secondly, the snapshot shows Installed count as more which means u need to buy more licenses or u might be having other contract covering the balance users.

You can either upgrade the call manager first or place the order prior to upgrade provided the count of users CUWL/Enhanced Plus/Basic is correct.

you need to place separate order for Unity Connection.

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: