cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity emails from multiple inboxes.

kalebschumaker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm having an issue getting emails to send from multiple Unity Voicemail boxes to one user. When I update the SMTP address I get an error of 'An object with the SMTP address (user@cuc-pub.ad.domain) already exists'. That error makes sense but was wondering if anyone has had luck configuring this in a way that works. This SMTP address also can't be an alias, as I've already tried that.

Scenario: The user already has their VMs going to email on their desk phone. Now they also would like the main line that they are responsible for to hit their email. How would I configure this?

Thanks!

12 Replies 12

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Do they need two different messages? 

If not you could get away with 1 voice mail box and just an alternate extension and ALT MWI for both extensions.

Also, if they need distinct greetings between personal extensions and the main number you can use a Call Handler and have it deposit messages into the user’s normal mailbox.

How would I go about doing this? I'm not familiar with how to set up a call handler.

In UC, create a new call handler with the the same extension as the main line. Record a new greeting for the standard greeting (you can do this from a file or through the phone just like a normal VM box) then go to edit > Greetings > Standard Greeting > After greetings section > click the "user with mailbox" radio button and select the correct user. You could also do a distribution list if you want the voicemail to go to multiple people.

Let me know if this makes sense to you or if you need more pointers.

Oops... that

isc@saisd.net wrote:

In UC, create a new call handler with the the same extension as the main line. Record a new greeting for the standard greeting (you can do this from a file or through the phone just like a normal VM box) then go to edit > Greetings > Standard Greeting > After greetings section > click the "user with mailbox" radio button and select the correct user. You could also do a distribution list if you want the voicemail to go to multiple people.

Let me know if this makes sense to you or if you need more pointers.

should have come from this account.

Thanks! Is there a way to grab the original greeting from the VM that already exists? The reason I ask is that the user is remote and a VIP. Limited interruption is important.

Yes you can do it from unity connection you can just download from there either via the old java method or the newer way.
Also there are tools from unitytools that can help with this as well.

I'm to the point of looking at the greetings but can't find a way to download them. Am I missing something?

You'll have to go to the users mailbox greetings > standard greetings> down at the bottom of the page... Depending on the version, you should see how to download the greeting from there.

Unfortunately they do need two different messages.

garethpeart
Level 3
Level 3

I normally cheat a little bit and just use a combined voicemail box with a generic greeting, and then add an alternate extension. It's not the perfect solution, but for a one off it generally works.

tfinney01
Level 1
Level 1

I came across this discussion because I was asked to have the e-mail notifications for multiple Unity voice mailboxes sent to one internal e-mail address, so apologies for the thread necromancy, but I got it to work by making the following change in Cisco Unity Connection Administration: Users > Users > [Unity mailbox for which you want to forward notifications to the specified e-mail address] > Edit > Unified Messaging Accounts > [Select your UM Service] > Account Information > Use This Email Address > [Enter the desired destination e-mail address].

To test it, I made the change to a colleague's Unity mailbox using my e-mail address. As soon as I made the change, I immediately received e-mail notifications for the new messages he had waiting.

It's my understanding that the SMTP address only matters for inbound messages. I hope that's helpful to someone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: