cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity failover in Voicemail only mode.

kelvin.blair
Level 5
Level 5

Does anyone have a good document that explains the setup instructions for failover in a voicemail only mode configuration. This is were AD and Exchange is loaded on the same server. I have a second server that will need to be setup for VM failover... What do i need to do? Any recommendation for a document that explains this...?

8 Replies 8

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On a failover config, both Unity servers are member of a domain. The Domain Controller role and exchange has to be installed off-box.

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco Unity Failover Configuration and Administration Guide (With Microsoft Exchange), Release 4.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_book09186a00801b9241.html

I have a customer that is running Unity 3.1 VM with Exchange & would like to upgrade to Unity 4.0 VM and at the same time with failover mode.

What are the steps to take to achieve this? Meaning upgrade to 4.0 then follow by purchasing separate failover license for the failover upgrade? or should it be better to upgrade 3.1 to 3.1 failover mode and follow by 4.0 upgrade?

I would setup 3.1 failover up first. Once this is done you can upgrade one box at a time. This will give you little if any downtime. This would be the route I would go...

Upgrade Unity 3.1 to Unity 4.0(4). The unity server cannot be a domain controller or exchange server.

Setup failover after you have upgraded the first Unity. You'd only have one upgrade, one server install, and one Failover config wizard.

If you configure failover on 3.1 first, then you would have to do two upgrades, one install, and run Failover config wizard twice (once for 3.1 and once for 4.0(4).

To have full failover or redundancy, we need to provide 4 servers then. 2 for Unity and 2 for domain controller/exchange server so that one fail the other take over.

Is this what you are thinking?

Two for Unity

One for Windows DC

One for Exchange

If you are thinking redundancy for both Unity and Exchange, then you will need five servers.

Two for Unity

One for Windows DC

Two for Exchange Cluster.