cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity MCS 7800 series Server

mitchell9798
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco unity server that holds our voicemails, we had a power outage and now I can't get back into the server. It won't ping, but it is connected to the switch and is up. There must be something that got corrupted or changed when it hard shut off. How do you manually get into one of these MCS 7800 servers? There is a VGA port and USB but when I plug in a monitor I get nothing. 

This stuff is like 20 years old, I'm having a hard time finding any documentation on it. Any help would be appreciated! 

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Wow that’s well past end of everything. I doubt that you would find that much help on this.

It’s not uncommon for hardware that has been running for this long to face failure(s) caused by a power outage. The most common would be failure of hard drive(s) or power supply.

Response Signature

Yea, just wish I could console in or something and see what's going on... 

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

good luck.....

I am not even sure i remember how to connect to the console. did those have USB for keyboard mouse or PS2.....i dont remember

Yes it has VGA, 2 USB, PS2 for mouse and keyboard, an ILO port, and serial port. The default IP for ILO I think is 192.168.0.120, but I tried that and still can't connect. VGA not coming up either, same with keyboards and mice I get no response.... The NICS and ILO port do flash when I plug in though.. 

I'm guessing you don't have a backup to recover if you could get the hardware?

I kept a couple MCS floating around for a bit for lab after we moved to VMWare. One suffered an array controller failure, and another had something happen with the mainboard that caused it to output garbled display, and eventually it died..

It does have a console, you should see it post through the VGA output.

At this stage in the game I would treat it like any other computer, though one you may want to wear an anti-static wrist strap to work with.

You could try to disassemble the machine and see if removing/reseating any cards/RAM will allow the machine to POST if nothing is visible on the display.

I do not know if you can reuse the drives from the array in another server, or with another controller. I have never tried this myself. If this is mission critical, though without a backup, perhaps purchasing a used chassis to recover the system will allow you to get it running again. However, step two would be to migrate off as soon as possible, using COBRAS to import to a Unity Connection installation, or similar.