cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity upgrade PCD vs direct ISO

iverson.justin
Level 1
Level 1

We are upgrading our Cisco Unity from 10.5.2.16901-1 to 11.5.1.16900-16.  Is it better to use Cisco PCD or just direct upgrade via CLI and ISO image?  The Unity nodes are in different datacenter over WAN connection.  

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The process is 90% the same thing when it comes to just loading the ISO to the VM, difference is that PCD can schedule the upgrade and load the ISO from its datastore, which in case of WAN might take some time. But that's about it.

Any prerequisites, extra cop files, changes to the VM specs, etc. all have to be done manually in either case.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The process is 90% the same thing when it comes to just loading the ISO to the VM, difference is that PCD can schedule the upgrade and load the ISO from its datastore, which in case of WAN might take some time. But that's about it.

Any prerequisites, extra cop files, changes to the VM specs, etc. all have to be done manually in either case.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Jaime.  Do you happen to have a link to the requirements and upgrade process to CUC 11.5.1.16900-16 (prerequisites, cop files, vm chanages)?  

Thanks

Check here https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/unity-connection/products-installation-guides-list.html

And also for the exact version, check release notes which should be linked from the download page.

Personally for a single upgrade of two servers, where direct upgrade is supported I will just do it manually.  I don't think PCD helps with changes to VM properties, and (when I last used it) doesn't automate locale installs so there are likely to be manual steps in any case.

I agree that PCD does not automate anything beyond orchestrating the actual upgrade, i.e. does not update any vmware settings, and I concur for 2 node in-place upgrade it does not bring that much benefit, my point was if you have one handy or would like to deploy it and have use cases for future use, i.e. pushing device packs, upgrading larger CUCM cluster, etc. then it would be an option.  As to installing/upgrading CUC locales, you can definitely use PCD for it as it's just another cop file, though you still need to follow the manual process of stopping adequate services, etc. hence again not the greatest use case for PCD.

" As to installing/upgrading CUC locales, you can definitely use PCD for it as it's just another cop file, though you still need to follow the manual process of stopping adequate services, etc. hence again not the greatest use case for PCD."

That was my point.  If you have to manually stop services on each server before running the PCD job then it's not automated in any real sense.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I concur with Jamie (+5), for simple in place UCXN upgrade either options is fine.  If you decide to do it manually just make sure you follow proper directions on when to do the switch version, which PCD can orchestrate for you.  If you already have PCD or can spin up one quickly I would probably go with that personally.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: