Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VG450 SIP Gateway and SCCP Gateway registrations on same VG450

Hello,

I am trying to register a new VG450 to CUCM as a SIP Gateway. This is working as expected, but I also need to be able to register the same VG450 as SCCP and MGCP.

MGCP is fine, since it uses hostname.domain, SCCP is NOT working as it uses the last 10 characters of the VG450 MAC address, which is already in use by the SIP Registration.

If I remove the SIP gateway from CUCM and add the SCCP gateway I am able to register both MGCP and SCCP analog devices. When I try to add the SIP gateway back into CUCM, I get an error with duplicate entry in the database.

Does the VG450 support, SIP, SCCP and MGCP registrations on a single device? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Use SIP binding with gi0/0/0/ interface and SCCP gi0/0/1  interface. By this way on CUCM  you use interface gi0/0/0 Mac for SIP and gi0/0/1 Mac address for SCCP.

I didn't test this. test and let us know if this worked. 

Response Signature

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

You cannot Use all three protocols for controlling the VG450 FXS port. Use one protocol at a time.

Response Signature

Nithin,

Thank you for your reply, but people have been using multi-protocols on the VG4XX/3XX forever. SCCP for features and MGCP for T.38 faxing support.

I am unable to find any Cisco documentation that shows this is supported or not supported. SCCP and MGCP protocols work as they did with previous models, it's when you add the NEW SIP registered gateway when you lose the ability to do SCCP.

I have VG gateways running at my  sites using protocols SIP/SCCP/MGCP. But  never used two protocols for a single  VG. 

Both SIP and SCCP use MAC, so I dont think you can use both SIP and SCCP for a single VG450. CUCM will through you Duplicate warning. 

Go with Either SIP or SCCP.

Response Signature

The name of the SIP registration does not AFAIK need to be the last 10 characters of the MAC address. You should be able to use any name for this as it’s actually the IP address further down on the SIP trunk configuration element that is used for the registration.

What the CM is complaining about is that you cannot have multiple devices with the same name or IP address.

However I do agree with @Nithin Eluvathingal that it’s a bad idea to use all of these control protocols at the same time. Why do you want to do this? Do you have any specific use case for this?

Response Signature

Roger,

Starting with the VG450 you can add the device as a Voice Gateway in CUCM and choose SIP, MGCP or SCCP and the protocol. you absolutely need to use the last 10 of the MAC address. This is not a SIP trunk to the VG450.

Use case...

SIP gateway supports auto-registration

MGCP supports T38 faxing

SCCP supports features.

I have used multiple protocols on a single analog gateway going back to VG224s.

Thanks for the information. Never seen one of these, so it was unknown to me. As both SIP and SCCP uses the same name you can not use both of these protocols simultaneously.

That you have used multiple protocols previously does not really explain why you have done so. What use case do you have for this? There must be a reason for why you would do this. I mean you would anyway I assume not be able to use more than one protocol per port at a time.

Response Signature

Hey Roger,

I have needed to use MGCP for analog faxing to support T.38 when client go with SIP PSTN circuits.

I have needed SCCP for analog phone features, SCCP does not support T.38.

The SIP VG450 CUCM registered gateway supports auto-registration for analog endpoints. SIP VG450 CUCM registered endpoints DO NOT support SRST at this time and Cisco has not Tested T.38 for SIP registered analog endpoints. (The BU said it "should" work)

Also, many clients only have one VG320/350 or VG224 but required both features and faxing on the same analog gateway.

Roger, 

I typically use the begining ports as one protocol, say SCCP and then on the MGCP gateway I used the last port and work towards the middle.  I agree, you can only use a single protocol per port but you can most certainly use both protocols on a single gateway.

Use SIP binding with gi0/0/0/ interface and SCCP gi0/0/1  interface. By this way on CUCM  you use interface gi0/0/0 Mac for SIP and gi0/0/1 Mac address for SCCP.

I didn't test this. test and let us know if this worked. 

Response Signature

Nithin,

Using the MAC from G0/0/1 has allowed me to add the SIP gateway successfully. I have two SIP analog endpoints registered and will be testing functionality later today. 

This works for my current client, as they have both G0/0/0 and G0/0/1 configured as Layer3 interfaces on the VG450. This may not be possible for some clients that will only be using Layer2 on a single interface. That said, I think this gateway is geared towards larger customers with high density analog requirements and not smaller organizations.

I'll add an updated later today after I have tested functionality.

Can someone point me to the config guide for setting up the VG450 via SIP with CUCM?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: