Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME, CUE and Fax Server

Hi,

we are using a CME 9.1 (on ISR 2921 with multiple ISDN trunks to the PSTN) and CUE 8.6 in the same box.

The customer would like to implement a fax server now; incoming faxes should be forwarded to eMails.

Is the CME/CUE - combination somehow able to handle in- and outgoing faxes, or do we have to look at a 3rd party product?

If so: Is there something which can be integrated into that CME/CUE - conglomerate, or should we just look for a completely independent fax server system?

Thanks

Heinz

3 Replies 3

karmakar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me describe what CME and CUE do, and then we can figure out if that will satisfy your requirements -

1. CME can convert a incoming fax message to an email message.

- It can either send all the incoming messages to

- (a) a single fixed email address like abc@def.com or

- (b) something based along the lines of phonenumber@def.com.

- If you use (b) the target of this email can be CUE.

2. CUE can take an incoming email and deposit it into a mailbox (you will need a MBX license)

- Once this message is in the mailbox, you can use message notification to send it out as another email.

- The fax can be attached to the email.

- It is not possible to delete the original email when this is sent out - so someone will need to go clean up the mailboxes periodically.

- Since the notification happens at mailbox level, it is possible to fine tune the email address associated with each phone number.

Abhi.

Hi Abhi,

thanks for the clarification.

1a) could already be fitting our needs for incoming faxes; i´ll check this out.

Any recommendations how to handle outgoing faxes?

Thanks

Heinz

Hi Heinz,

I am not an expert there, but look for IOS Fax on-ramp and off-ramp t.37 documentation/scripts.

This fax feature is actually a core IOS voice feature (and is independent of CME itself). I did refer to CME in the previous email, but actually meant IOS / router. Bottom line - you will find the fax documentation in non-CME links.

This may be a starter -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel3_1/administration/guide/voicemail/fxgatewy.html

Abhi.