Views
Helpful
Replies

CME to Nortel CS1K Is CUBE required?

dllou1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In a private network is it necessary to include CUBE when building a SIP trunk between CME and a Nortel CS1000? I haven't configured it yet but am told it does function OK without CUBE since it's a simple connection and not a public carrier interface. Comments and opinions please?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Since there isn't confidential I can cut and paste the thread

CUBE is not a line-side device, so the nature or presence of phones in the network does not matter to its deployment. CUBE is a trunk-side device that sits between call agents, i.e. between CUCM and a SP SIP trunk, between CUCM and another IP-PBX or application, portentially between CME and CUCM.

There is usually little reason to use a CUBE between applications within an enterprise, although this is sometimes done. Usually CUBE sits on the border between networks owned by different companies and therefore acts as a security and admissions device controlling traffic across that border. So CUBE is most often used in:

- CUCM/IP-PBX to SP SIP trunk connections

- TelePresence business-to-business connections

- H.323 video Internet-to-business connections

When CUBE is deployed inside an enterprise between applications, it is usually done for:

1) Interop reasons (i.e. SIP header manipulation or H.323-SIP protocol conversion)

2) Security demarcation (e.g. government and other  large public agencies like universities often have "sub" networks within their larger netowrk where they require security services

3) Call admission control (i.e. you want to allow/disallow a specific number of calls to flow through a particular point in the network

So deploying CUBE between CME and CUCM is certainly possible to do of you need that, but is seldom done due to the above. More often we have seen CUBE deployed between CUCM and other 3rd party IP-PBXs for reason #1.

CH

Srini

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

dllou1
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

Thanks - I can't access that thread for some reason, but appreciate the answer.

Since there isn't confidential I can cut and paste the thread

CUBE is not a line-side device, so the nature or presence of phones in the network does not matter to its deployment. CUBE is a trunk-side device that sits between call agents, i.e. between CUCM and a SP SIP trunk, between CUCM and another IP-PBX or application, portentially between CME and CUCM.

There is usually little reason to use a CUBE between applications within an enterprise, although this is sometimes done. Usually CUBE sits on the border between networks owned by different companies and therefore acts as a security and admissions device controlling traffic across that border. So CUBE is most often used in:

- CUCM/IP-PBX to SP SIP trunk connections

- TelePresence business-to-business connections

- H.323 video Internet-to-business connections

When CUBE is deployed inside an enterprise between applications, it is usually done for:

1) Interop reasons (i.e. SIP header manipulation or H.323-SIP protocol conversion)

2) Security demarcation (e.g. government and other  large public agencies like universities often have "sub" networks within their larger netowrk where they require security services

3) Call admission control (i.e. you want to allow/disallow a specific number of calls to flow through a particular point in the network

So deploying CUBE between CME and CUCM is certainly possible to do of you need that, but is seldom done due to the above. More often we have seen CUBE deployed between CUCM and other 3rd party IP-PBXs for reason #1.

CH

Srini

Many thanks. Just as I thought, but needed to see it in print.