cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring Emergency Responder

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all.  I am about to be setting up emergency responder and I have no real idea on how to do this.  Ive looked at some of the documents out there, but there doesnt seem to be any good documentation out there explaining how to really install from scratch and configure it to the end. Does anyone have any good info on this install that someone may share or even their own experiences if they documented it?  Any help appreciated.

36 Replies 36

Route-pattern, yes.

Translation pattern, no.  Help me understand this, is this translation pattern going to match the translation pattern I put in the ERL? (I cant say I understand why there is a "route/translation pattern").  AND, is that number NOT used in CUCM anywhere else, but unique and mapped to go back to a certain location, say a main operator line?

ALI, not sure, I would have to check on that.  Can you tell me what "customer code" is (its three digits)?

Again, thank you for the guidance and help.

Route/Translation pattern - The phone number, defined as a route pattern in Cisco Unified Communications Manager, that is configured to use the gateway the call should be routed through to get to the correct PSAP. This number must include the external emergency number, such as 911 in the USA. For example, 10.911 or 10911. The pattern can only contain numbers and dots.  (Ill need to verify what I have in place).

Ok, besides this setup, do you think that is it?  If that is the case, it seems a little too simple.

These would be PSAP callbacks, imagine a call goes out to 911 center with ELIN of 5551235555 from phone 4001, the caller ID on 911 operator will show as 5551235555 and map out the address/location, now if the call drops and they call this number you need to route the call to extension 4001. The way you do this is you create a TP in CUCM that matches all the ELIN DIDs i.e. 55512355XX, prefixes 913 to it and then there is a CTI RP in CUCM as 913XXXXXXXXXX registered with CER.  CER maintains the information of who dialed 911 from that ELIN for up to 3 hours, so when the call back is made CER will route the call to the 4001 extension. 

Chris

Great info Chris.  Thank you.  One more question then.  That is going to be two CTI route points, right?  One for the 913XXXXXXXXXX and one for the initial 911 dialing, correct? 

For single CER server deployment that is correct, if you have secondary CER server then you would also have 912 CTI RP.

HTH,

Chris

Chris, thank you.  You certainly appear to have done this a time or two and you have helped me understand what is going on here.  Again, thank you for your willingness to help.  Very much appreciated.

Thank you for kind word, yes indeed I have done "few" of these, in fact have been installing CER since version 1.3 days, on almost all my projects :-)

Chris

One more question Chris, if you dont mind. In the ELIN info, where the blank for 'Route/Translation pattern" is, is the route going to be the something representing the '911' to get to the gateway (based on the statement below in the help menu)?  Also, for the ELIN, is that going to be the actual call back number?

The phone number, defined as a route pattern in Cisco Unified Communications Manager, that is configured to use the gateway the call should be routed through to get to the correct PSAP. This number must include the external emergency number, such as 911 in the USA. For example, 10.911 or 10911. The pattern can only contain numbers and dots.

One more question Chris, if you dont mind. In the ELIN info, where the blank for 'Route/Translation pattern" is, is the route going to be the something representing the '911' to get to the gateway (based on the statement below in the help menu)?  Also, for the ELIN, is that going to be the actual call back number?

This is where you define the route pattern that the call will match in order to send the call out to the GW, this should not be 911 as that may overlap with your 911 CTI RP, I normally build something like XXXXXXXXXX.911 strip PreDot, where XXXXXXXXXX is one of the ELIN DIDs.

The phone number, defined as a route pattern in Cisco Unified Communications Manager, that is configured to use the gateway the call should be routed through to get to the correct PSAP. This number must include the external emergency number, such as 911 in the USA. For example, 10.911 or 10911. The pattern can only contain numbers and dots.

In really could be anything you want it to be, but you need to massage the number to be sent out as 911, so easiest thing would be to strip PreDot.

HTH,

Chris

I understand now.  Thank you.

So that route-pattern could be really a few different 911 access patterns, depending on location.  If one location is in Denver, another in New York, you wouldnt want them to go to the same PSAP, unless you have a service you are using like Intrado or someone thing like that?

You dont need multiple route patterns, single route pattern with "Local Route Group" usage can be utilized.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Thank you for clarifying. 

I have one more question that I cant quite figure out.  I have made a test call to 911 and I do see the call hitting CER in the logs.  However, Im not sure how the call is being routed over to CER.  I dont recall configuring anything that points over to CER for the call to go there.  Im sure I have, but I cant seem to figure out how its getting to CER.  Any help appreciated.

Im thinking it must be when I created the CUCM info in CER with the App user, that is when it registers to CUCM and it must be through that means that it knows calls are to be routed to it, via the App user.  Is that correct?