cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring Emergency Responder

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all.  I am about to be setting up emergency responder and I have no real idea on how to do this.  Ive looked at some of the documents out there, but there doesnt seem to be any good documentation out there explaining how to really install from scratch and configure it to the end. Does anyone have any good info on this install that someone may share or even their own experiences if they documented it?  Any help appreciated.

36 Replies 36

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

You may want to look at more recent version as the 1.2 is really, really old.  Here are all the admin guides:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps842/prod_maintenance_guides_list.html

the admin guide is all you need to impelemnt CER. 

HTH, please rate all useuful posts!

Chris

Thank you Chris.

I dont want to seem like one of those guys who cant figure out anything (although that certainly could be the case), but the admin guide doesnt seem to me like a straight forward guide to use for configuration.  Anyone have any other helps/documents that might be beneficial for setup of CER?

I am not aware of better doc, but at what point are you stuck? Do you have specific questions?

Chris

I guess being completely new to CER, I dont know what is necessary to configure and what is not necessary.  At this point, there are a few things I have in mind:

1.  Should I see the CTI route point as 'registered' in CUCM when I think I have the config done on both CER and CUCM?

2.  I have SNMP configured on my test switch, but I can not seem to get any phone info from that switch after I have added that switch in CER.  I can ping that server from my switch.  Doesnt seem like it should be this difficult?

1. yes, make sure they are associated with your ceruser application user. Also, make sure you have CUCM info properly configured under "phone tracking --> CUCM".  Also, ensure you have telephony settings properly set.

2. what do you have configured under "phone tracking--> snmp settings"?

Thank you Chris.  I may have more questions throughout the day.  I appreciate your guidance.

So I have a question about this now.  I have CUCM and CER talking (CTI Route Point is registered now), and I have SNMP configured and it does see the one switch Im testing with now.  I have associated it with an ERL, but I would like for it to be able to do this via IP address of the switch.  How can I get this to work correctly?  Im thinking I dont really understand how this is supposed to work and how I should be configuring this.  Any guidance appreciated.

Are you asking how to track by subnets rather than switchports?

If so, then you do not need to define the switches, simply just define subnets and tie them to ERLs.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Ok, so here is what I think, based on what I think I hear you saying.  If I want to configure this by IP Subnet, then I create the ERL for each subnet (ERL associated to IP Subnet in the IP Subnet configuration page).  Correct?

Also, if I choose to do this by switch, that might be a better fit for a large building (say, one of my 30 story buildings) so that my IDF on my first floor might report ERL of 'first floor and address', and the IDF switches on the second floor might report 'second floor and address', etc., correct?

Is that all there is to setting this up? 

Correct, it all really depends on how your switches and IP subnets are laid out and correspond to the ERLs you have created, for example if you have a subnet per floor and the floor is single ERL, then you can use the subnet tracking, however if there is 1 subnet across multiple ERLs you will need to go to switch port tracking.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Thank you Chris.  And just to verify, once communication is up between CER and CUCM, really this last piece you just mentioned is all there is left?

Did you create route pattern to route the call properly in CUCM?

Did you create transaltion patterns for callbacks?

Is the ALI information you defined in CER defined in telco or your e911 service provider?

Chris